Pain around belly button?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by evemomma, Dec 14, 2009.

1. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

EVERYTHING about this pregnancy is sooooooo different from my singleton pregnancy, it's like being a new-expecting mother all over again!

So, I never really got that big with my son...I carried really small and low and had him at 36 weeks. My belly button stayed an 'innie' and just got pretty flat. Of course, with twins, I'm MUCH bigger this time at 20 weeks: carrying higher and spreading 'wider' as well. So, lately my belly button HURTS. It's still 'in' but stretched nearly flat. The skin around it is extremely sensitive and feels bruised, and I keep getting sharp pains in my belly around it. So is this what happens before your BB pops? This is not a huge deal, just curious....just one more annoying 'ache' to add to the list that I'm sure will be getting progressively longer!!!

2. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My belly button never popped out with my singleton. This time is spread wider and wider, and is finally poking out. I also had a tender, bruised feeling around it - can't remember when it happend. I also find that I bump into things more with my tummy this time around, which may have contributed to the brusied feeling! What you are experiencing sounds normal to me.

3. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

totally feel your pain!!! My bellybutton is almost completely flat and feels bruised.. oh I can't imagine what the next half of pregnancy will bring!!! =)

4. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I've experienced the same pain this time and I'm only having a singleton unless one is hiding. ;)

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Ouchie!! Mine never popped out either, but was completely flat & I never understood how it didn't split apart!
    It was super sensitive too ~
    I ended up putting a big square bandaid on it!! :)

6. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Well-Known Member

Not wanting to frighten you; but my belly button also ended up
    popping out during the final weeks of my pregnancy. (I also
    kept a band aid on it! ^_^ )
    Almost a year after the boys were delivered, it was still popped
    out and still sore, so after seeing the appropriate doctors, I
    was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia (brought on by the
    pregnancy).
    Just something to keep in mind if it doesn't go back after
    delivery.

7. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Mine had popped by 15 weeks! Must have been the way I was carrying, and I have a small frame. It never hurt though, but maybe it would have if it just kept stretching the way you described. I did end up with an umbilical hernia I just had repaired a couple months ago. Not sure if it first occurred when my belly button first popped, or later. The surgery to correct it was quick and easy, and relatively painless if you do end up having to go that route after they are born.

8. leiadawn

leiadawn Member

At 23 weeks, my belly button is quite flat. I'm full of strange aches and pains. The peri keeps reminding me that this pregnancy is completely different from my first pregnancy with my daughter. I'm curious to see if my belly button pops out. Interesting to hear that it could be a hernia if it doesn't resolve itself. Good to know.

Like you I never actually got that big with my daughter. This time I hit that same size at about 21 weeks. I only had a couple pair of maternity pants the first time and wore most of my regular clothes. This time I was in a full maternity wardrobe at 18 weeks. I'm carrying higher, bigger and can't stand any pressure on my tummy, so all of my regular clothes had to go early on. That was a huge surprise to me. Now I'm acknowledging that I will need a belly band in addition to my maternity clothes cause my belly pushes the maternity pants down. Can't even imagine what I will look like in 10, 14, 16 weeks. I would definitely agree that this is a more uncomfortable pregnancy, but it's exciting to feel the babies move (even if it is around the clock).

9. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

Evemomma, I too have some tenderness all around my bellybutton. My belly button has not popped out yet. I constantly am touching my belly for contractions (as you know)and recently noticed that parts of my stomach are achey and sore at times. So many different quirks with this pregnancy. I some days drive myself crazy because a new ache and sore makes me start to think is everything all right because I don't remember it so early with my singleton pregnancies. Take care and happy shot day tomorrow!

10. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

Mine hurt so bad for a couple of weeks and I just noticed that it doesn't hurt anymore so there is hope! :)

11. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

I can totally relate. My belly button is killing me! Today, DH was rubbing my belly & as soon as his hand touched my belly button area I gasped because it hurt. It seems that it won't be long before it pops out. I don't know how it could stretch any further!

12. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Hey ladies. I'm 18 weeks and right there with you. When I was walking on Saturday the pain got so bad I thought I wasn't going to make it back to the hotel (I was on vacation). That night, I couldn't sleep I was in so much pain. Nothing I did relieved the pain. Anyway, beyond chiming in with my "me too," I was hoping that someone could give more information about an umbilical hernia. If your belly button doesn't protrude, does that mean that it is something other than an umbilical hernia? I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow and my pain has mostly subsided. While I understand twin pregnancies are a time of stretching and growth, the pain I felt REALLY hurt. Anyone have tips and hints for what they did to reduce their pain?

13. Meg_Meg

Meg_Meg Well-Known Member

Mine popped very early this pregnancy. I had sharp pains and a very sore feeling in that area for a while which I handled okay. Problem is everytime my toddler saw my "outie" he felt the need to shove it back in! :shok: I've had to make sure it's not showing through whatever I'm wearing otherwise I get the sucker punched feeling when he gets me.

1 person likes this.
  14. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

Totally LOLing at your post! I'm sure my 3 year old would do the same thing...he LOVES to push any button he sees!