Packing my hospital bag early...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Momma_Mare, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Momma_Mare

Momma_Mare Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]Well, my Dr. is transfering me to a peri over 8 hours away and I'll be staying on bedrest at my in-laws'(who live an hour from the new doc) for the remainder of this pregnancy. Might I mention that this guy is the best peri in the state, Hooah! LOL Ok, so I need to pack my hospital bag now since I have to take it with me to my in-laws' house. My hospital bag for my 1st son was very lacking. This time since I won't know how I'm delivering (or when for that matter), I'm wondering about what I'll need and I could really use some suggestions. I did look at the hospital bag must-haves topic, but I'm kinda hoping for some personal opinions for me. I do have these goofy, dumb looking slippers that I want to bring, cuz thier basicly just fleece booties and they feel so comfy.
    So what do you guys think? what are things you guys have been told to have? How about you gals who've 'been there-done that'?
    [/SIZE]

2. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

The BTDT's are the ones who compiled the list you saw. I would go through the list and just pick and choose what you would like, the good thing about the list is it is pretty comprehensive (not much anyone could think of that didn't make that list). I used next to nothing in my bag! I did enjoy having my own pillow, my beloved sweatshirt that traveled with me everywhere (don't ask) and chapstick or something for my lips (although in my non pregnant life I can't stand the stuff, I just had to have it while in the hospital).

Good luck at the inlaws! I hope you can still check in with us while you are there!

3. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

Besides the usual stuff for you and babies, I would pack a small gift for your son for when he comes to visit. The helped with my DS when DD was born. It gave him something new to play with in the boring hospital room and made him feel special because he had been missing his Momma!

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I don't know how much different the experience will be with twins....but here's what I wished I had with my singleton (who roomed in with me for two nights), that I will be sure to take this time:

-- eye mask (to get some sleep at night -- I can't sleep without it)

-- iPod and speakers, with white noise or heartbeat sounds on it -- or white noise or heartbeat CD, if there are players in the rooms (to help both me and the babies sleep!)

-- Miracle Blankets (or other swaddling blankets if you have them)

-- pacifiers (I have a particular kind in mind that I want the babies to use)

-- baby bottles (same thing -- I'm planning to nurse, but just in case they're too small to nurse yet -- I'm picky about what bottles I want to give them)

-- Vaseline (those first meconium poops are gross, and this lubes up baby butts quite well! Works as chapstick, too)

-- Crocs (I love them as much as you love your fuzzy slippers :D )

-- super maxi pads (I *hated* the hospital pads last time)

-- Pampers Sensitive Wipes (hated the hospital wipes -- do you see a trend? LOL)

Anyhow, otherwise just standard stuff -- clothes and toiletries for you, and coming-home clothes for the babies.....plus your own pillow! I haven't yet figured out whether I should take the EZ 2 Nurse pillow with me or not -- I might.

5. Wilmington Twin Mom to Be

Wilmington Twin Mom to Be Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Momma_Mare @ Apr 24 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]232411[/snapback]
    [SIZE=12pt]Well, my Dr. is transfering me to a peri over 8 hours away and I'll be staying on bedrest at my in-laws'(who live an hour from the new doc) for the remainder of this pregnancy. Might I mention that this guy is the best peri in the state, Hooah! LOL Ok, so I need to pack my hospital bag now since I have to take it with me to my in-laws' house. My hospital bag for my 1st son was very lacking. This time since I won't know how I'm delivering (or when for that matter), I'm wondering about what I'll need and I could really use some suggestions. I did look at the hospital bag must-haves topic, but I'm kinda hoping for some personal opinions for me. I do have these goofy, dumb looking slippers that I want to bring, cuz thier basicly just fleece booties and they feel so comfy.
    So what do you guys think? what are things you guys have been told to have? How about you gals who've 'been there-done that'?
    [/SIZE]

This is my first time, so I am no help on what to pack....but I am so glad you are getting closer to your family...I know you said on the bedrest forum how far away you were from everyone!

6. Momma_Mare

Momma_Mare Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, the lil personal touches was what I was looking for. I forgot how horrible the hospital pillows were, so I think I'll bring my own. The chapstick is a great idea, I always forget mine.
    I think I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I need to. I think it's just that I have no motivation to do this, I'm not ready for this part. It's too soon to be packing a hospital bag, yet I have to do it now since there's no way to go get something I forget that's over 8 hours away. KWIM?

To the pp who asked about me being able to check in while I'm at my in-laws', yep I have a laptop and they have wireless. ^_^