Packing a hospital bag and gift for older siblings

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AliTown2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. AliTown2

AliTown2 Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies!

I'm starting to get myself into gear now and get prepared for this new arrival. Just wondering what you all packed in your bag or plan to pack in your bag for the hospital...for yourself and baby. I'm excited to get packing as yesterday I went out and bought myself a nice Vera Bradley duffel, make-up bag and cell phone case. It has been some time since I splurged on myself and bought something that I really didn't have to have.

Did anyone get gifts for older siblings from the baby? I picked up some "big brother" and "big sister" t shirts but was wondering what others have done?

How about washing up baby clothes??? I went through some older white onsies that I had stored from the twins and noticed a lot of yellow stains:( Anyone have any luck getting old stains out of baby clothes. What about baby oxyclean...does it work well...will it leave an irritating residue on clothing?

Thanks for the help!

2. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

My bag was really pretty basic. I didn't have gifts for the older brothers. (Of course, I packed the night before I ended up delivering)

For the baby, I packed a 2 gender neutral"going home" outfits. (Wasn't sure which size would fit / and didn't know the gender) and a blanket. DH brought the car seat on the day we were discharged.

For me:

- 3 or 4 pairs of undies (although I did use the hospital mesh one for the 1st couple of days
    - change of clothes (but I did wear the same outfit home that I wore when I was admitted)
    - socks (didn't use them due to swelling and the fact that I would be able to take them on and off by myself - I would recommend a pair of easy to slip on shoes/slippers)
    - deodorant, toothbrush, hairbrush, pony tail holders
    - camera

There may have been a couple more items, but it was very basic.

3. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

In my bag I have super large grannie panties ;) My regular ones didn't fit after the twins were born. A robe and night gown (in case they don't have the nursing ones available), hygiene bag, baby outfit with hat and socks and blanket for picture and coming home, a few snacks (granola bar, mandarine oranges, trail mix), socks for me, two home outfits (the one I thought would fit didn't and I had nothing to wear home after the baby!), camera, video camera and extra batteries.

I had zero luck getting the yellowed stains out even using full oxyclean (I was planning on rinsing it several times with plain water if it worked.) I washed all of the babies clothes and linens. I'm pretty much all set up!

4. BBCanadianTwins

BBCanadianTwins Well-Known Member

Hi Allison,

I was thinking of gifts for the boys but never really figured out what would be good. Last night my husband saw a Piano at Walmart that he knows the boys will love, so maybe we will pick up two of those and give them to the Boys when we bring the baby home from the hospital???

GOOD LUCK! We should be going around the same time :)

BB

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

For the girls I got some handmade bags and then put a doll sling and doll cloth diapers inside. They thought they were cool but they thought Dax was even cooler. For this baby I won't be getting any of the older siblings gifts.

With my hospital bag, I did get a few special items like a natural labor kit, new travel size toiletries, some black socks, and two big nightgowns. I was using the Hypnobabies technique so I even brought a CD player, CDs, and about 4 old pillows. Those pillows were wonderful to have the entire stay. I also brought a couple of cloth diapers for Dax so that he wouldn't have to wear disposables home. Of course the nightgowns were ruined but that's why I got them on clearance. :)

I plan on taking all those items with me again because they all came in handy.