pacifiers.. how often do you wash/sterilise? do you share them?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christineinhk, Nov 27, 2006.

1. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

I just got nagged by a family member tos terilise them immediately after use and God forbid if the girls SHARED them. I keep them clean but only sterilise once a day, plus stick them in whoever's mouth needs them! am i wrong?

2. christineinhk

I just got nagged by a family member tos terilise them immediately after use and God forbid if the girls SHARED them. I keep them clean but only sterilise once a day, plus stick them in whoever's mouth needs them! am i wrong?

3. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

You definately steralize more than I did [​IMG] - and I was a little concerned about the sharing, but quickly got over it [​IMG] At this point, if they still used binkies - which they don't - it wouldn't matter, since someone is always sucking or teething on some body part that doesn't belong to him!

4. christineinhk

hahahaha thanks for that! yet again its family members telling me how i should be raising my children [​IMG]

5. steph-andy

steph-andy Well-Known Member

Yikes...I am a total germ phobe, and don't actually sterilize them very often. I use micro sterilizer when I do it. I do put them in the hot soapy water that I wash the bottles in - does that count??? I usually do this whenever one hits the ground nipple side down and a clean one is handy. If one falls from the crib and I don't have another upstairs, I rinse w/water and back in it goes. I do have different colors for each girl, but they play a little game of swap/steal the best pacifier any time they are at an arms reach, so I quit worrying about the sharing thing. I figure they are using the same spoon most of the time (something new since I read on a post that most feed w/one spoon - much easier!!), so what is a few more germs between sisters!

6. shellworley

shellworley Well-Known Member

I only wash them once a day in hot soapy water. The rest of the time I just rinse if they are on the floor nipple down. I don't worry about them sharing--they share everything!

7. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

no sharing here as one dd prefers her thumb to the paci but ditto to pp. we just wash them with hot soapy water once a day and simply rinse them with water when they drop (well only if they drop in the house. oustide obviously we use a clean one). a science teacher once told me that kids have to be exposed to some germs or they never develop a tolerance to them. not that i would give them a dirty paci from the floor but...

you know what's best for your babies. if your family members feel a need to give their great expertise, tell them to go ahead and have their own babies and put all their great advice to use on them or just simply smile and say uh-huh and do whatever you do anyway [​IMG]

8. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

I put mine in the dishwasher every few days and I sterilize them in the Germ Guardian machine every day. I also rinse them off all the time in between. They definitely share - I cannot keep track of who had which one! Plus they eat each others hands so what's the point [​IMG]

9. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

They always share them. And now I feel horrible because I don't even rinse them if they fall on the floor (at home, I do if we are somewhere else) and I don't think I've ever sterilized them. My boys are almost 4 months old and haven't been sick yet so I guess between the breastfeeding and the myriad of germs they've been exposed to they have immune systems of steel.

10. WENDERELLA

WENDERELLA Well-Known Member

I wash off with hot soapy water and while I don't encourage them sharing their pacis, they are CONSTANTLY taking each others' right out of their mouths..............that is a little my fault I guess b/c we have 2 differet kinds......Stuart likes the Soothie brand and James has one with harder plastic sides.........I liked them having different pacis b/c thats how I could always tell them apart in the beginning.....LOL, but noww they just want what ever the other has.............oh well!

11. momoftwins+one

momoftwins+one Well-Known Member

I never really formally sanitize them (I know, bad mommy). I wash then when needed and they share, my son usually ripes them out of my DD's mouth! It is cute, she is the only one who really "uses" them, he only wants them because she has them.