Overnight babysitting rates

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sulik110202, Aug 18, 2011.

1. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We have a wedding this weekend and everyone in DH's family is attending the wedding. Our kids are not invited and the daughter of my future SIL will be watching the kids. She is in college and my kids are looking forward to a slumber party with her. We will be leaving around 3 pm on Saturday and due to the location of the wedding, we are spending the night and will return around mid-morning on Sunday. Typically my MIL watches our kids and I haven't had to keep tabs on babysitting rates. From what I can gather from other posts, the going rate seems to be around $10-12/hour, but with the overnight stay, I wasn't sure what was reasonable. DH says $50 but that seems like not enough. I was thinking more along the lines of $100, but maybe that is too much. I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Split the difference! I have paid $75 for overnight sitting in one situation and $150 in another situation with two sitters and a fancy schmancy hotel.

3. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I paid my overnighter $100 bucks. She watched my son from about 4 p.m. to noonish the next day. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

4. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I would pay fifty dollars.

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I agree with split the difference!

75 seems reasonable for time, gas, the inconvenience of sleeping at someone elses house (which is different than staying up until 12 or so and being able to sleep at your own house and sleep IN)....for 18 hours (some of them sleeping) that is still less than 4$ an hour for two kiddos.

Your sitter will have to do dinner, bedtime routine, wake up routine, breakfast, and possibly lunch....plus any night time calls and chances are they will stay up later than usual and possibly give her a hard time and/or be cranky in the morning (or miss you both and have tears)

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I taught...I babysat a student overnight once a week. I would bring him home from school with me(45 minute drive), vacuum and water the plants, make/feed him dinner. Get him ready for bed sometimes. Then his mom would come home. So she was there at night. She would get up and go to work early, so I would get J up, dressed, and fed, and bring him to work with me. That paid me $70. Easiest $70/week I ever made! Lol!

I would go with $75-$100 for the night.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

If you figure just the awake time at ten an hour, you're at $80 (4pm - 8pm plus 7am - 11am). I'd throw in an extra $20 for the overnight part and pay $100.