Over the counter medicine?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by alynenicole, Aug 26, 2009.

1. alynenicole

alynenicole Active Member

I was just wanting to know what is safe to take for a cold.. I am 30 & 1/2 weeks prego and haven't been sick till now go figure. I don't like to take anything but i am at the end of my rope with the lack of sleep and all the achs and pains that go along with carrying twins in a petiet body, not to mention i can't stop and rest because of my 18 month old and 9 year old has me on the go constantly. So if you ladies have any suggestions on medicine i would really love to here your take on what's safe and what's not. Thanks!! :bow2:

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

My best advice would be to leave a message for your Dr. or your Dr's nurse on recommendations for safe med's when pregnant :good:
    Always best to be overly cautious!

I remember I got reallllly sick when I was pregnant & ended up being very surprised at the med's my Dr allowed me to take for it.

Good luck & I hope you feel better soon!!! :hug:

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I really like this site... http://www.safefetus.com/Search.asp You can look up meds by brand and generic names. It gives you the risk factor/level. Basically only water is level A. B has no known risks if taken correctly... things like Tylenol. Level C is iffy, and I tried to avoid them if at all possible. D is risky and should be avoided unless it's an emergency and X has no benefit that would be greater than the risks. Finding level B cough medicine when I was pregnant, was hard. In my research, I found that (and I'm totally telling the truth) dark chocolate is a better cough med than even cough syrup with codeine! I had a nasty bronchitis that seemed to hang on forever. I found out about the chocolate, and would eat an ounce every hour or two as needed. It didn't totally kill the cough, but dampened it enough that I was able to get some sleep and not lose my mind. The chocolate certainly worked better than any of the level B cough meds I found.

4. bethst

bethst Active Member

Hi! I can help you!! really, i had a bad cold and my dr gave me a huge list of everything safe to take from pain relief to insomnia. for colds/pain/cough you can take, tylenol, extra strength tylenol, sudafed, dimetapp, triaminic, vicks vapor rub, robitussin-no additives but DM IS OKAY. cepacol drops or spray. Hope this helps you sweety and I hope you feel better!
    beth s

5. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I usually only take antihistamines when I have a cold to knock back the congestion...if that would work for you ask your doctor which ones are ok (I like webmd for on-line research). It depends how bad off you are...definitely try to get lots of fluids and rest and if it's not gone in 4-5 days then something else is happening and you need to see a doctor.

6. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I'm a minimalist too, I usually try to stick it out, but there are definitely times when that is just not happening. I know Tylenol is safe. If it were me, I would stick with just regular Tylenol. Try taking it before you go to bed to get some much needed sleep. Sorry you're sick :(

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would put in a call to your OB to get the "safe" meds during pregnancy. I know mine gave me a list of what was safe, but I don't have that anymore since it's been over 3 years. Hope you feel better. :hug: