Outgrowing infant carry seats - need suggestions..

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dksmet, Jul 8, 2007.

1. dksmet

dksmet New Member

Hi,

My little ones are 9 months now - Grant is 21 pounds and Kelsey is 20 pounds. Both are getting too long for the infant carry seats so we are preparing to switch to regular seat rear facing until they are 1 then will turn it around. BUT wondering how to get around with them plus 3 1/2 year old big sister. SOme places I go like sis's gymnastic class there are only stairs so the stoller is out. Now I put one in the Hip Hammock and carry one in car seat.

Ideas for a way to wear both babies or any other suggestions?

THanks
    Mary

2. bethanyjoy

bethanyjoy Well-Known Member

Mine are the same age, and I'm wondering exactly the same thing!

For places that are stroller friendly or have carts, I usually wear one in my mei tei carrier and the other rides in the stroller/cart...otherwise, I'll often wear one in the carrier and just hold the other, if it's for a short distance.

I've tried various combinations of slings/carriers/whatever, but it's really awkward to wear two for any length of time...

3. SJV

SJV Well-Known Member

Mine are the same age too, and having the same issues. Up until now dh and I just take turns going out and doing the shopping, etc. in the evenings when he's done working or on the weekends, and sometimes we all 4 go out together. I know that I need to start venturing out on my own with both babies to the store, etc. Sorry no advice, but I know what you're dealing with.

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

That was a really tough time, lugging two heavy babies everywhere. I never got the hang of slings/carriers, so I would just carry them both when I had to, or take the stroller everywhere that I could. You could try a Bjorn and carrying one of them. My arms hurt just thinking about how I used to carry them both up and down the stairs all the time.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Good question!!!! I have not found any miracle way to carry both yet! my girls just weigh 25 pounds together - and they are so heavy I can't imagine 20 pounds each! I did see a twin carrier (like the bjorn but double) in the twins magazine - but it was $129 and it looked a little awkward to wear - like it may free your hands and kill your back??!!

6. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I'm in the midst of this! My two are 20 and 22 lbs at 7.5 months.
    My backpack is my lifesaver. It's the only way I can get around now. I recommend a GOOD one - kelty - or the one I use is actually snugli, and I love it.

I use it to get my older kids into school, shopping where they do not have double carts, anywhere I can't get my stroller (which is a lot of places!)

7. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

I've been practicing with slings and such because I know they will eventually outgrow the car seats. I've found that I can carry both (dd is about 14 lb and ds is about 18 lb @ 5 1/2 months) in pouch slings, one on each side or both kind of in front practically on top of each other :), for short amounts of time. I've also tried a backpack and sling but just one sling is a wreck on my neck so I've found it's easier to sling both, its also quicker to load them up that way. I AM nervous sometimes while loading or unloading that one will lean too far over and fall out so we try and be as careful as possible or have someone help if possible. HTH

8. dksmet

dksmet New Member

Thanks gals! I will keep pondering this dilemia ... then it will be on to the next one of what to do with a preschooler and twins that are walking ;) Mary