Outdoor toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, May 20, 2008.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Okay, I've looked just about everywhere for outdoor toys. So far all I can find are bucket and shovel sets, little gardening sets, or water toys. We have the bucket and gardening sets, and their pool came with a bunch of water toys. We have a wagon and some balls, but other than that, we're at a loss.

We've taken their little ride on Lion outside for them to play with... They're only 16 months old so sidewalk chalk/paint is out of the question - they still eat their color crayons!

Any other suggestions for this age group?? Oh, and suggestions on WHERE to find these toys at??? We've been to Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R' Us.... you name it we've been there and STILL can't find anything!

Help!!

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I was going to say TRU. I get a Fisher Price catalog and a Step 2, but then you have to pay shipping.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Well, at TRU they are always out of every outdoor toy they put on sale...ugh! I'm collecting rain checks from them.

I have seen outdoor toys at Target, Walmart, and Aldi's often has something on special each week. Also, maybe Kohls has something (I haven't looked there).

4. 2monkeez

2monkeez Well-Known Member

If you don't mind hand-me-downs, go to freecycle.org and find your town or one near you. We have gotten the best outdoor toys there for free...usually they just need a good bleaching! My kids all loved the coupe cars, little houses and little climbing cubes with the slide at that age...my minds blank for what else is a hit at that age...oh the other great thing has been one of those pop up tents with a floor and a tunnel and get those plastic colored balls (you can get 100 cheap at Toys R Us) throw the balls in the tent and let them go wild! We use them inside and out! Good luck!

5. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

We ordered ours from Amazon, because we had the same problem finding anything in stock. The shipping on Amazon was WAY lower than any other site.

6. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

I have bought some from Craigslist. Most outdoor toys are pretty durable and will last for a long time.

7. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

if you have a nice grassy area, you could get them those pop up tunnel/tent sets. Or you can get a baby pool and a bunch of those plastic balls and make your own ball pit? You could even hide stuff inside for them to find (favorite toys/animals etc.). You could do a water table with a bunch of their water toys. You could get all kinds of different sized balls and let them go to town with those. Bubbles are a big hit for the outdoors. These things are all available at the stores you mentioned. Do you think they are ready for one of those very baby slides? They aren't too expensive and you could probably find one used on Craig's list or something. I'll try to think of more stuff.

If you go to TRU site and click on outdoor toys on the left side menu and then on the next page, click on narrow by age, there are a ton of stuff that I think would be perfect for your little ones.

8. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

sand box, sand and water table (both were given as birthday gifts to mine), or they have a water table!

9. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Our outdoor toys include:

Tricycles
    Sand & Water Table
    Swingset/Climber
    Bubbles/Bubble Maker
    Basketballs/Basketball Hoop
    Tball set
    Slip and Slide
    Pool toys to take to the pool

I also take our easel outside sometimes and let them paint outside