Outdoor Playhouse

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amelowe9, Apr 14, 2010.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

DH and I are talking about buying our kids an outdoor playhouse for their 2nd birthday. They LOVE playing in the one at their friend's house; I'm just wondering if it's worth getting one for our backyard. We have room for it. Do you have one? Do your kids play with it a lot? And which one do you love? Thanks:)

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we have a hand-me-down... I totallly think that its a perfect second hand thing... they are kinda pricey.

ours is a simple one with a swinging door and and open window and a window w/shutters. they love opening and closing the door and the window! so cute. I'm glad we have ours, but not sure I'd part with $100+ for it...

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We got one for our girls when they were 16 months old, and they played with it the first two summers, but last summer they just weren't too into it. I've sold it and got a play structure/wood climber now.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We got a used one from a twin mom on Craigslist and then resold it for the same price two summers later. It was this one in an older model- it did not have the picnic table.

They LOVED it for about 2 years ( age 18 mon to 3yrs) and then stopped playing with it as much late last summer and it got sold. I would make sure you get one with a door and shutters!! Those were the favorite parts. I think they ran our of room inside and got frustrated as they got bigger.

New- they are pricey, but you can get nice ones used for much much less. The resale value is high if you keep it in decent shape.

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

We have a hand me down Little Tike house and my boys love it. With their christmas money I bought this for their indoor playroom. I needed something that would keep me sane during the winter months. :crazy:

The really like it and play in it every day. I doubt I will put it outside since I want to be able to sell it when they outgrow it and I know I'll get more money with it never being outdoors.

It was super easy to put together and only took me about 1/2 hour.

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Mine have had one since they were 18 months old and still play with it when we are outside. :good:

I don't have a link but just buy a cheap one. Seriously, their imaginations are so great they don't all that fancy schmancy stuff!

7. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We have one indoors in our playroom and my girls still love it after 2 years. Any little kid that comes into my house is drawn straight to the playhouse and doesn't want to leave. One of my co-workers visited with her 7 yo dd and she loved the playhouse. Still talks about it! we have this one:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bab/1684214194.html

We got it second hand off of craigslist and paid $175. It was a lot, but the new model was going for close to $500 with shipping and it wasn't the adorable pink that I got. It was used indoors only and you couldn't tell that a child had played in it. I love that the side of the house opens up like a big door which allows lots of kids to play or mommy/daddy.

Your local craigslist has this one:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bab/1685096210.html

This one looks like a lot of fun:
    http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys-detail.aspx?Product_ID=6675
    The wall open up to expand play.

8. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

Just bought a Step 3 one for my two. Hasn't been put out yet, but I'm sure they'll like it. It's not very big, so they will have to share and play nice. We found ours on sale, at least where we are, there are a lot on sale right now.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We bought one for our oldest DD 6 years ago at our community yardsale. She played with it for a long time and the twins, even at 4 still play with it.:good:

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We bought one off of Craigslist last summer for the girls. They play with it all the time!! It's an older one, so I couldn't find any pictures of it. It has a door on one side and the opposite side has a half wall with a coutertop sort of thing. It has windows on the other two sides.