Our first go at decorating the X-mas Tree

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Two_more_cookies, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

First I have to say I love DH and I think he is one of the most wonderful people on the face of the earth but the man does not handle change very well.

This was our first year with a tree. Initially he objected and said we didn't need one this year and that it would just be a pain. I said the kids are old enough (2.5)and that we are getting one this year. On Black Friday I picked up a pre-lit tree for about $40. I set it up and the kids loved it.

I considered not decorating it at all but Gma got them a Little Critter book about Christmas and in it they decorate the tree and put a star on top. DD kept talking about it so I thought I would just buy a few ornaments to get us started. I got some garland, a packet of bulbs, and a star.

I was very proud of my puchases and thought it would be magical.

Well...DH was PO because a few of the bulbs had glitter on them. I was reminded how much he HATES glitter and was asked not very nicely why I didn't get ornaments without glitter...ugh! When I opened the package some glitter fell on the floor and he said "now there's glitter all over the floor"...ugh! Then DS was given ornaments to put on tree and was having a hard time and the one he happened to have had glitter so it was all over his hands, DH had a fit and said DS had it all over him and that he was rubbing it in his eyes and that I needed to wash his hands before he got an infection...Ugh!!! Then DD needed her hands washed. When we got back to the tree they both were crying and I was so upset because his uptightness was ruining the whole experience for the kids.

I initially planned to do it without him becuase I knew he didn't have to patience for it. At the same time he would have been upset because it was a first he would have missed out on.

I asked that night why he was being such a Grinch.

He said "it's the prep."
    I said "but you don't have to do anything!"
    "I know but watching you stresses me out."

Good grief!
    Lindia

I am hoping next year he'll opt out

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Has he always been like this about Christmas or is it just this year? also why doesn't he like glitter did something happen to him that traumatized him with glitter. I think he needs to get this sorted out, you don't have a choice but to get into the christmas spirit with little children.

Good luck to you.

3. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

Great question about the glitter. I am not sure if there was an incident or not. Perhaps I need to dig deeper in to that.

Last year he was pretty grumpy but he snapped out if it x-mas day. I think I will have to tell him that if we have a display like this year again he will not be allowed to help with x-mas activities anymore.

Hopeful,
    Lindia

4. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Usually, it's the kids that are making things difficult... :lol:

Sorry to hear that DH gave you such grief!

5. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My DH has no patience for decorating the tree either. Luckily for me, he doesn't care, so he leaves me and the kids in peace. He bakes a traditional German cookie (I can't read the recipe) that has to age until Christmas before you can eat it while we do the tree. Maybe your DH needs his own Christmas contribution that he can be doing while you and the kids do the tree. GL!

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Ditto to this. My DH usually takes care of the outside decorations while we do the tree. For whatever reason, he hates decorating the tree.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My DH does not help with the tree, and I like it that way. So sorry! :hug:

8. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We're a fairly anti-glitter family. I just hate the fact that it's hard to wash off of hands, get out of hair, and it seems to stick around for months... I had a hard time finding some pretty shatterproof ornaments without glitter on them, but I did find some! Now if I can just keep the kids from pulling the ornaments OFF the tree. :wacko:

9. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

*hug* sorry he was being such a grump!

this is why i decorated the tree when my dh was OUT OF THE HOUSE!

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest some sort of alternative activity for DH to do and stay busy with while the tree is being trimmed.
    Outside lights, shopping, cooking, watching sports in another room, anything really.

11. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

And here I was congratulating myself for being lazy and not vacuuming before I put the garland (tinsel) on the banister...because it got everywhere and I had to vacuum afterwards...

I hope you laugh together about this soon.