Ouch! What else can I take?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mrsfussypants, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having the worst heartburn ever? It doesn't matter what I eat or drink---it is nearly constant. I am maxing out on my tums everyday...but it's not enough! I am only 18 weeks! I didn't get heartburn like this until the last month or two of my last pregnancy. Twins really are double everything...including heartburn. What else are we allowed to take for it? My mom suggested prilosec..but it's an oral tablet you take for 2 weeks. I couldn't find anything on the box regarding taking while pregnant, so I just stayed on the safe side and didn't take it. Anything worked for you? I can't stand the sight of my tums anymore!

[/
    url]

2. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Call your doc, there might be something prescription you can take!

Hope you find some relief soon!

3. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

I too have really bad heartburn and acid reflux. It got to the point that I couldn't eat and I couldn't sleep. The Dr. told me I could try Prevacid and Tagament. It eased it but it was still horrible. They finally gave me Nexxium and it has been a godsend. All I want to do know is eat.
    Good Luck

4. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Mine was terrible too. My doc gave me an Rx for Nexium - she said it was so safe that they give it to infants who have acid reflux. Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover it. However, I started taking Walgreens brand Acid Reducer and it helps tremendously, and I think I tried just about everything else on the counter - Maalox, Tums, Rolaids, Pepcid, Tagament ... this stuff works for me! I still get breakthrough bile-type stuff that comes up (yuk) but nowhere near where I was.

5. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

I take Nexium twice a day. It's wonderful. I took Pepcid, though, until around 26 weeks. You should try that. You can even buy it OTC in generic brands. I took it twice a day. That's what my dr. told me to take, even though the box says just once a day.

Ask for a script if it gets worse.

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Thank you thank you thank you.......

7. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

my dr. said zantac with my last pregnancy, said it was better than taking tums everyday.

8. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Ask you DR for Protonix. It's a life saver. Worked better for me than Prevacid or zantac

9. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I started out with Tums (which I still max out nearly every day), then went to Pepcid AC which was great for awhile. When that stopped working I moved on to Zantac, which has been a LIFESAVER. I was not getting ANY sleep there for awhile.

10. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

My doctor gave me Protonix, it worked great! No more heartburn the rest of my pregnancy.

11. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean! I have an appointment on Wednesday and I'm going to ask for Nexium. I took it for an ulcer a couple of years ago and it worked great. I had heartburn really bad with my singleton but tums did the trick. This time, I'm like you, even the tums don't always help, and the reflux is a whole nother story.. it's horrible!

12. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member