OT: Swimming suits and twin skin

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LMW1015, Jun 22, 2011.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should post this in here so feel free to move it if need be. This is just the only forum I come to. LOL

My twins are 2 1/2 and my youngest is almost 15 months. The twins were a little over 6 lbs each and my youngest was almost 9 1/2 lbs. My stomach sticks out (I swear I have abdominal separation but the lovely Army doctors just tell me to keep doing crunches and my stomach will probably never be flat again....) and I have plenty of twin skin that just hangs. I've lost a ton of weight and pretty much toned up everywhere else. I'm much smaller than I was before I got pregnant with the twins. All that being said I just cannot find a swimming suit that gives me any confidence to leave my room much less the house. LOL My other problem is my boobs have deflated into nothing so the one pieces I've tried on make my stomach look bigger than my top! LOL I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind of swimming suit might work. I would love to take my kids to the splash pad or something but I just don't feel like I can go out in public with any type of swimming suit on. LOL Before my twin pregnancy my stomach was my best asset. LOL It was toned, 6 pack. I loved it. Now I can't get it to look decent for the life of me and I can't afford surgery any time soon. I'd just like to feel like I can look decent after all my hard weight loss/toning work. :)

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought a Land's End swimsuit with the shorts. I bought that on the recommendation of many others on this board! :) Have you tried them? I'm happy with it...as happy as one can be in a bathing suit! ;)

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I have been working out and stressing over being able to wear a bikini again and I've all but given up. Target sells a brand of one-pieces (Assure? made by Spanx, but I can't find a link for you) that I just recently bought. There is no going back! That suit sucks my mid-section back to a shape. It has rouching across the middle, but it's very flattering. The top is low-cut and (it says) it is designed to maximize the bust. I cannot say enough good things about this suit. I've sent my mom, sister, and best friend to Target to buy one. Go check it out! The one I love is a turquoise, pink, and white paisley.

Good luck!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Maybe a flowy tankini? My doctor said NOT to do crunches for my abdominal separation. She said it wouldn't help and might just make it look more poofed out. She said to try pilates to increase core strength. GL!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was also going to suggest a tankini. I hate bathing suit shopping. Actually, the only time I haven't hated it was when I bought one for this pregnancy - trying bathing suits on isn't so bad then. ;)

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a two piece with the boy shorts and a looser top, I have the opposite problem with my boobs, I have too much, so I have to wear a bra with any bathing suit I wear :rolleyes: So much fun....

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I like my tankini pretty well. Some of them have built in bras, even with a little padding that can help out up top. I like the halter style tops. They seem to give my bust a boost. I have the same problem with my stomach. It was perfectly flat and wonderful before having kids. I don't think it will ever be the same again.

8. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I have a small chest and poochy stomach and like a tankini. This year I bought one with shorts for the bottom. I really like the way it looks.

9. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I have the MiracleSuit - Oceanus It is amazing compared to any other suit I've tried. It is expensive - but you can find one on Ebay for half retail. I would go in to a store and try one on to make sure of the size first.

10. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Kohls also has a line of suits that are similar to the Miracle ones.

11. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I used to have a tankini, that worked quite well for me. Since my surgery 1 1/2 years ago I'm back in regular bikinis. I had a 3" separation and the majority of my surgery was covered due to medical reasons. My oldest was over 9lbs and my twins were close to 8lbs a piece. When they openend me up it turned out my abdominal muscles were completely ruined and I was told that a million sit ups were not going to make a change. I also have a mesh inside my tummy now to strengthen everything post-surgery. So I agree with some here, if you have a separation you need to find out how much because more sit ups may only make it worse.

12. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Crazy as always here. LOL Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas!! My sister is in town so we're going to do a little shopping without the kids today and MAYBE I'll find a swimming suit based on your suggestions. :) My next Doc appointment I'll have to have them look again. The 2 DR's that I've seen don't see much of a problem and continue to say do crunches. Drives me up the wall. I've been doing more pilates and it seems to be strengthening them. Maybe I'll get there. LOL Thanks again!

13. lezlie72

lezlie72 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with poochie tummie and NO boobs! Am thin and just wish my abs were how they used to be too! I found this suit to be nice http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46669&vid=1&pid=819235 from Athleta.com

I also wear one of their swim skirts with a tankini top. Good luck, hopefully you found a nice suit.

14. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

I am right there with you ... my twins just turned 4 and I have an 18 month-old (I know, I know ... update my ticker =) I am training for a marathon and weigh 113 pounds and am 5'4 ... I wear a size 2 ... and I STILL feel like crap in a bikini ... albeight even worse in a one-peice or tankini. I also have a C/S scar that is poochy ... like it was pulled too tight and my twin skin kind-of hangs there above it. I only gained 32 pounds when preggo with the twins. It is so sad. I am only 33 and feel like I have the wrecked body of a 6o year old. My boobs are shriveled from nursing the twins to 14 mos and the baby to a year ... and that I don't really care about b/c I have never been too worried about the boobs ... for some reason ... but the saggy tummy skin just makes me sad. I feel like a one-piece or tankini just highlights what looks bad ... the only non-matronly/non-maternity looking tankinis I have found still show a little skin and I feel like the tankini or one-piece hides the only part of my mid-section that is decent (the upper part of the tummy.) I feel OK in my bikinis if I am just standing there or walking but the minute (or hundreds of minutes =) that I need to bend over to get something or pick up a kid it is loose skin city ... or even if I am sitting down it is not too pretty. So sad, so sad. I also have a diastasis (separation) and BTW, you are NOT supposed to do crunches as it can cause a hernia there. Do planks/knee bends ... that sort of thing ... not that it will help the twin skin =) I say wear your bikini anyway ... I do! I ditto that Athleta has some good ones ... I like their mid-rise ones ... they are still well below the belly button but not so low that you can see my C/S scar ... also the brand Profile has a cute one now that has a little ruffle around the top of the bottom http://www.swimnsport.com/swimnsport/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=Profile+by+Gottex+Swimwear+Confetti+Halter+and+Fold+Over+Bottom&dept_id=6516 here ya go ... it hides my pooching from the C/S nicely. Anyway, I know I wasn't too helpful but just wanted to comisserate and say to wear the bikini anyway ;) I always feel better, however, if I, at least, have my 3 kids with me =) If not, I wish they made a suit that had "I carried twins" embroidered across the a** =)

15. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

This is exactly me too! Except I'm more like 115 and 5'5". I'm also training for a marathon. But absolutely nothing helps the appearance of my abdominal area. (I have a diastisis too). One pieces and tankini's and bikini's all make me uncomfortable. I wore a tankini last year, and I'd feel so self conscious when it would get wet and stick to my stomach. I haven't been brave enough to wear a bikini yet. Like you said, if you could just stand still without bending or sitting it might be ok, but that's not realistic. I'm so self conscious now when I never was before kids. I find myself eyeing up all the other mom's on the beach with bikinis on, wondering where their extra skin is. Even if they have more than 1 or 2 kids, they still don't have it. I guess it is just a twin thing. We're going to the Outer Banks with friends next month and I don't know what I'm going to wear. I'll probably be in a cover up most of the time. So I've been stalking this thread for ideas!

I like the link you attached with the ruffle on the bottom because my c-section scar is like you described. But I do have some loose skin above my belly button too - so even the high waisted ones aren't very flattering on me! I remember being huge and pregnant, stretched to the max, and wondering "where does all this skin go after?" now I know!

I do think we are our own worst critics, so I really hope it's not as bad as we think or feel in our own head!

16. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can 100% guarantee this!