Organized sports

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stacy A., Jul 27, 2009.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

My mom wants to sign the kids up for soccer this fall. She would pay for it and I'd just have to take them to practice once a week. I think it is a great idea! Ian is clumsy, so maybe this will help his coordination. Plus, they would be able to socialize with some other kids and learn to take directions from yet another adult. It is through the Y, it is only one night a week for practice and then when games start on Saturdays there are no more practices, so it won't take a ton of time.

DH thinks they are too young (they will be 4 in Sept). He ended up saying it doesn't matter, just do what I want (not in a mean way). But, does he have a point? I really can't think of any objections and he didn't have any specific concerns, but are there some? I just want to be prepared.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My SIL put her dd in soccer when she was 3. My two have been in gymnastics this summer and they just turned 4. I think it is an excellent opportunity to get them involved in a team sport. I think your points of it being a social situation is great. It also teaches teamwork. I'd take advantage of it!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's a great opportunity for them, but don't get disappointed if they get distracted. We did a brief soccer thing in the spring. Meghan loved it and played the whole time. Nolan got "tired" and had to sit with me (I think it was really the snack that I brought that he wanted to sit with). Our youth leagues don't start until they are 5. :(

4. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Soccer at 4 (if they are interested) is a really great idea! It's an easy enough sport, and they aren't expecting a lot of them yet. I think they would have a blast either way! Totally go for it!

5. Stacy A.

Oh, I don't at all expect them to be completely into it the entire time. And honestly, I HATE soccer (it is so boring!) and wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if they didn't want to play again. I "played" as a kid and it is still a family joke that I used to do ballet on the field instead of paying attention to the game.:lol: But, I do want to give them the opportunity and, if they like it, I'll grin and bear it. I do want them to learn all the things organized sports can help teach (teamwork, coordination, following directions, etc) and this is the only sport offered for their age around here. If they like it they can continue. But, if not, we'll try some different ones in the future.

6. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

I have heard that soccer at that age is better than, say, baseball, only b/c there's alot of running around and action. I know a girlfriend of mine had her 4 year old in t-ball this past Fall and she said it was horrendous. He not only hated going, but all the waiting around to hit the ball allowed for way too much time for distractions and he became uninterested really fast. We ended up opting for swimming this year, but will definitely do the soccer program next year.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I never liked team sports as a child and am not eager for my kids to start them. DH loved them and thinks there's no such thing as "too young." We've actually heard really good things about the indoor soccer program for 2-year-olds (yes, 2!), though mercifully it's on weekdays, and my kids are in daycare, so I was never forced to decide whether to enroll them.

Anyway, I've come around to thinking that they're not too young as long as the program is appropriate for their age. If they're getting yelled at for not following the rules, or expected to do things they're not capable of, that's not appropriate. But if they're having fun and just learning a few skills and some basic discipline, that's fine.

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I agree, I think it will be a good idea. I hope they have fun with it.

9. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

Hi... we put our kids in soccer at 2 1/2. The sports center here had classes starting at age 2 (I think) and they grouped them by age. It was quite hysterical to see a bunch of kids that age playing but they enjoyed it. Now, there were days when none of the kids wanted to play and the dads ran around yelling at them but it made it even more comical for me. They also took soccer at their school this year (they just turned 4 on the 21st). I think as long as the actvities are age-appropriate as the PP stated, it shouldn't be a problem. There are tons of activities around here that start at age 2. Good luck with your decision.

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We started Leah at 3 for outdoor soccer and she was too young. DH wanted to start her and I said it was too young. I am an avid soccer player too. She had no idea about what to do and why the kids were taking the ball from her. She would just say "they are not sharing" and cross her arms. She played 3 games and then her season was over. :blush: She never asked to go back. However at 4.5 YO this Fall we will try again. She is showing interest and understanding a bit more about how to act and interact with other kids her age. I think she will love it this time around. *fingers crossed*

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I think you should give it a shot! :good: Good luck, I hope they enjoy!!

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Around here, rec. ball doesn't start until either you are 5 (for t-ball) or going into K. At 5, my kids had a great time at soccer--it was also a way to meet other kids going into their classes--almost everyone here does rec. soccer. Before 5, you can do USA Soccer, which is skills based. Marcus did that when he was 4, but really wasn't as into it as he was when he started the real rec. stuff in K. It really does depend on your kid, but I think at 4, individual sports like swimming are a better option.

13. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls did the USA soccer squirt in the fall when they were 3. I was not sure if they were enjoying it, but now they keep on telling me that they are going to take soccer in the fall. It is just teaching them the skills involved in soccer, so there is no games.

14. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm on the fence. Don't know why - could be my distaste for Soccer :spy: but if there's another activity you could do that they might enjoy more, would your Mom pay for that instead? Or does it have to be soccer?

Let us know what you decide! :D

15. Stacy A.

I completely understand your distaste for soccer. But, I'm going to go ahead and sign them up. I can't think of any activities that would be comparable cost-wise. Anna already takes dance classes, but Ian doesn't have anything. I looked into martial arts, but it was EXPENSIVE! And they were expected to go to 3 classes a week. I just think that is way too much at this age! All the other sports don't start until they are 5 or so.

I asked them about it and they seem excited. I just need to actually go sign them up this week.

16. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Stacy, I'm glad you decided and are going to pull the trigger!! Have fun with it!!!

17. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

:post:

You've gotten a bunch of good advice, and seeing that mine just turned 3 I have no experience with little ones and organized sports, but I just wanted to add that there is nothing cuter and funnier to watch than a bunch of toddlers kicking around a scoccer ball.

I'll add too, that I am also not a soccer fan, and don't want to have the "soccer mom" lable, but if my kids want to do it, and I'm sure they will, I'll wear that lable with pride! :)

18. twins1231

twins1231 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to sign my girls up for soccer, but I am going to wait until next year when they are 4. My girls are in swim lessons now and then we are going to sign them up for creative dance. We just the joined the YMCA near us because even with membership the activities are cheaper. I know alot of boys that have been in gymnastics.
    Good Luck

19. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

Ugh....three year old soccer! We just completed a four week Friday afternoon soccer session at the Y and it was kind of brutal on me. My twins will be four in December. Maybe it was the time (5 - 5:45pm) or the fact that one hated it which affected the other... I think maybe they are too young right now for an organized sport. I was out there the whole time kicking the ball down the field with them, along with almost all the other parents!! Hilarious!! My older son did preschool football which was pretty hilarious too. But at five he started t-ball on a little leaugue and did GREAT and will do coach pitch this fall. Thankfully they are starting a sports program at my twins' preschool this year so I won't have to worry about signing them up for anything else this year. Five is a really good age to do the team stuff.

20. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I think 3 is really young for organized sports, but if they enjoy it, I don't see the harm.

I'm not a big fan of little-kid soccer, so I was really glad that Nadia didn't show any interest, LOL. Our philosophy is that we'll steer her toward individual sports that she can do for life -- tennis, golf, swimming, skiing, etc. I figure if she wants to play soccer, she'll have the opportunity through school later on.