Opinions about Booster seats vs Britax Regent

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Tracy623, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

HI Ladies,

I was looking for opinions about purchasing booster seats vs the Britax Regent Youth Seats. DD has reached the height max on her car seat and we NEED to figure out what we are doing soon.

First of all, I am very concerned about her using a lap belt only with the booster. She is a petite thing and only weighs 35lbs but she is too tall for her car seat. On that note, I found the Britax Regent http://www.babyage.com/products/e9l39g5_br...er_car_seat.htm
    and it goes from 22-80 lbs with the 5-point harness. All of the boosters I have researched only have lap belts for kids over 40lbs. so if they did have a harness it would only work for a short time.

Aside from the price difference, which is obvious, what are your opinions? They could be in 5-point harnesses till 6 years old or more with these seats which I like. Would this be social suicide when they start school? We never transfer the seats to other cars (at least right now) and have a Honda Odessey. Plus, we just had a baby so we could use DDs seat again for DD#2 as she grows.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Tracy

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys have been in the Graco High back boosters since just before they turned 3. They were both over 30 lbs--Jon about 38, and he was too tall for the convertable. We had a few times at first with them unbuckling, but that didn't last--since the car stopped moving as soon as they unbuckled. All my friends moved to the same booster at around 3, and no one has had a problem with it.

3. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

My kids are small, and were in 5-point harnesses until they were well into kindergarten, if not first grade. They are now in fifth grade, and at the start of the year were the ONLY kids in their class still in boosters. None of their friends ever commented on it, and I got the ones with reading lights, so they liked them a lot. They're technically still not tall enough to be without boosters, but we have ditched them for all but long vacation-style trips.

ETA: on their fifth birthday, around when they started kindergarten, DD was 40" tall and 33 pounds, if that helps.

4. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

If I were in your place, I'd buy the Britax. A bit more money, but safer (imho), and it will last you. I know at our school one of our 2nd graders still uses hers. My boys are still in the gracos, (high back)and while they eventually got used to buckling themselves in...I would've preferred them to be in something sturdier longer. I still don't feel like they are extremely secure, especially when I don't check how well they've buckled. They were in the 5ph until after they started K b/c of weight. By then it seemed I'd be only using the britax or radian for a short time. I was wrong, but as they near 8yo and 60lbs, I just don't see myself purchasing two now.

5. TD

TD Well-Known Member

My almost 7 year old was in the internal harness until this past summer (6 yrs 4 months) I have Evenflo toddler booster seats that aloud for the harness to be used until 45" or 47lbs. My daughter finally got out of her harness because she reached the height limit and the straps were no longer at or above her shoulders. She was 39-40 lbs at the time. In Ontario kids must be in a booster seat until 8, so the fact that she was using an internal harnes was not a big deal. My son will probably move to the booster at a younger age, purely because he will reach the 45" in height probably at least a year before her. He will not have the weight though.

From what I understand the internal straps are the safest.

T

6. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

Great, thank you for all of your thoughts. I am planning on buying the Regent for the twins and a a Diplomat for DD#2. It is a lot of money but worth it in the long run for safety. I figure at some point they'll be in just a bottom booster since these booster and car seats will last a long long time.

Thanks again!
    Tracy

7. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

My girls are 3.5yrs old.. One is 40" & 40lbs, & the other 36" & 30lbs. I know Claire could easily fit into a booster seat, but I just decided to go ahead & get the Graco Nautilus. It has a 5pt harness up to 65lbs, then converts to a high back booster, then just a booster. I plan on keeping them in the harness as long as I can, but at least these convert to the boosters when they are ready.

8. twinsandgreys

twinsandgreys New Member

The Regent is a VERY large seat and, honestly, many cps technicians consider it for special needs children. There are more options today of seats with higher weight harnesses, including seats that eventually convert to boosters. It is always better to keep children in 5pt harnesses as long as possible, so that it your best option. I would research the seats that can be used with the harness over 40 pounds, and then convert to a booster seat for later use. Higher cost does not equal a safer seat. All car seats have to conform to the same crash test standards. Don't forget, a booster seat is never used with just a lap belt. It is always and only used with a lap/shoulder belt combination.

9. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

my children are bigger than average. Berkley was not in a booster until Kindergarten and by then she was already 50 lbs and 47" tall.
    My boys are 4 in JUne, 41 lbs adn 42" tall adn will remain in their Britax car seats until 65 lbs.

10. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

I bought these seats for Jack and Ally: http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc1.html You can use them with the 5pt harness and LATCH till they're 65lbs, and then take the harness out and use it with the seatbelt till they're 100lbs.

11. tandtsmom

tandtsmom Well-Known Member

We just purchased the Safety 1st Apex 65 seats that have the option of a booster at 40 pounds or the 5 point harness up to 65 lbs. Our boys are 4 but are very light (29 and 33 lbs). We are thrilled with the seats and the boys like the extra room and they are very comfortable!