One Year!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by gina_leigh, Mar 10, 2015.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

:bday:
    Happy happy birthday to our little Moose Caboose! 

And WTG to us for making it one year nursing! (And, yes, I'm totally patting myself on the back too!) I'm really excited that we made it this far and he's done so well nursing, even with a few struggles along the way. (I never want to hear the word thrush again!) 

He goes for his 1 year checkup tomorrow, but he did get a weigh in last week when I brought him in for a nasty cough and he was 20lbs7oz. And I think 27 inches. I can't believe how big he is and I just can't believe my tiny little baby is now 1. 

He still nurses 4 times a day. He nurses when he wakes up in the morning and after his two naps. And then he nurses right before bed. He's still not all about actual food yet. He does baby food just fine, but some textures he just doesn't like. However, we have to hide the Ritz crackers because if he sees the pack he cries until he gets one.  :rolleyes:

I have noticed in the last few weeks, he doesn't nurse very much after his last nap. I think it's a combo of him being less interested at the time and the fact that his big sister and brother are home from school and they are a lot more fun than me. I'm thinking about offering him breastmilk in a sippy at that time, though I'm not in an all fire rush to wean. We'll see. I still have an insane amount of frozen milk in our big freezer. And I'm still pumping 3-4oz in the morning that I usually mix with his oatmeal. 

My goal was to make it to a year and we did it! Now, I'm just going to see where it goes. 

Thanks for all the support! :)

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yay Gina! Congratulations to you and your Moose!

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Yay!  Congrats!  

I just passed a year as well and I'm feeling pretty accomplished.  Although I'm already thinking about weaning..  I've started giving Gabriella cows milk and BM mixed in a cup, she's not really liking it.  She will steal Josh's juice cup in a heartbeat though.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats! :D

I love breastfeeding through the toddler years. The relationship changes so much and as they take less milk it becomes much easier to say go away for a weekend without having to pump or worry about supply. You just come back and resume where you left off. And breastfeeding toddlers say and do the cutest things. Emmett went through a phase of saying good night to his "na"s. :laughing:

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to having more independence for sure. I'm planning a weekend getaway with my best friend and I can't wait! Right now we're thinking sometime in mid-May.

I haven't tried straight cows milk yet, but he's had yogurt. (He loves that!)
    But my plan is to add it in with breastmilk in a cup.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I just got chills!!!  Happy Birthday and congratulations nursing him this long!!!  Sounds like it's a win/win for both of you.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Congratulations to your big baby boy and to you for achieving your breastfeeding goal!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap:   Way to go Gina!!!