One thing I never noticed since having twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Saramcc, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

when I talk to other women about their babies or their pregnancies, I always without even thinking refer to their one child as them or they. Instead of saying is SHE or HE doing this now, I always say are THEY or do you have any for THEM. LOL

I never noticed it till someone pointed it out. Unless I'm talking about one child individually, I always refer to my babies and them or they to people.

Was this confusing?

2. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I do the same thing...I even asked my mom how she put *them* to bed - referring to how she put ME to bed as a baby...when did I become a twin? I need to break the habit and realize that not all babies come in pairs! LOL Glad I'm not the only one! :banana:

3. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I do the same.

I have a funny story too. I went to the grocery store by myself (I think I have been by myself once) and the lady bagging the groceries asked me if I needed help out. I replied with "No thanks we're fine". She kind of looked around to see if someone was with me and that's when I realized I was talking about myself as the "we". :lol:
    Of course then I went all red and had to tell her that I not usually out by myself and usually have at least one child with me and that I don't usually refer to myself as we. I promised her I did not have multiple personalities. We (the lady and I) had a good laugh about it.

4. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PJ @ Oct 8 2008, 08:59 AM) [snapback]1017462[/snapback]
    I do the same.

I have a funny story too. I went to the grocery store by myself (I think I have been by myself once) and the lady bagging the groceries asked me if I needed help out. I replied with "No thanks we're fine". She kind of looked around to see if someone was with me and that's when I realized I was talking about myself as the "we". :lol:
    Of course then I went all red and had to tell her that I not usually out by myself and usually have at least one child with me and that I don't usually refer to myself as we. I promised her I did not have multiple personalities. We (the lady and I) had a good laugh about it.

:rotflmbo: OMG I can only imagine what that lady was thinking. Too funny!!!

5. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

Yes i do this and i think that everyone pregnant is having more than one child. LOL...

6. alechiac

alechiac Well-Known Member

I do this too! At a recent baby shower (of someone who's having a singleton), I was caught saying, "oh, they're going to love playing with that!" or "Are they kicking a lot right now?" etc.

People think I'm crazy.

7. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

LOL me too

8. I do that all the time. My mom has the same problem, my cousin and I were pregnant at the same time and my mom always referred to her baby as they/them/her boys even though she had just one. :lol:

9. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I've caught myself doing that too. :)

10. goldylocks

goldylocks Well-Known Member

Same here!! LOL

I also find if I have to call the pediatrician for ONE of the babies I still say they or them. Poor things...I hope they don't have a complex when they grow up. <_<

11. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Not only is it always THEY and THEM but its also WE, I lump myself in with THEM! :huh:

12. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PJ @ Oct 8 2008, 11:59 AM) [snapback]1017462[/snapback]
    I do the same.

:rotflmbo: reminds me of the jerry sienfield episode :laughing:

13. BeckiAllen1130

BeckiAllen1130 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I do this too!! Glad I'm not the only one :)

14. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I do it too :)

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Just wait.. to this day I have a hard time refering to myself as "I" or "me." It is always 'we' or 'us.'

16. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. A close friend is pregnant and I keep passing things to her saying "Oh, they'll love this" or "This will be perfect when they are a couple of months old". It was freaking her out by making her think there were two all the time. I told her it was just in my little world that all babies come in twos. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that lives in that world though!

17. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

I do that too but my friends do it to! Since I'm always talking about them and they, my friends start saying the same thing even thought they all just have one....so far.

Erica

18. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I do it too. And I can never talk about just one of them without saying they or them.

19. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I'll have to pay attention next time. I don't know what i do.

After I had the twins, I was talking to someone who was pregnant and my ds, 4 y/o at the time was with me. I said, "look, there's a baby in there" (pointing at her tummy) to him and he look at her and said, "is it only 1? My mommy had 2 babies in her tummy" :blush:

I thought wow, his perspective is all messed up now since I've had twins. :laughing:

life is all relative!

20. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

lol i did that my whole pregnancy and a good friend's daughter was pregnant and due the same time as me, i kept saying they/them and she would laugh and remind me her daughter was only having one, not everyone has twins lol

21. Gumberly

Gumberly Well-Known Member

One of my close friends was three months behind me during our pregnancies. I caught myself all the time refuring to her baby as "them" or "babies". I am so glad i am not the only one LOL

22. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I do that too. I was actually shopping for a babyshower gift when I was pregnant with the twins. As I was looking at the gift options I kept thinking that I would need to buy two of certain things like sleepers and such. I was even talking to my dh about the options and he reminded me that my friend was only having one baby so I did not need two of the same thing. Oh yeah!!!! It is too funny.

Jen