one of my twins bosses the other

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by animalk2yswife, Jun 20, 2007.

I have 10 year old twin girls and the the older of the two(by 1 minute) is always teling her sister what she can and cant do and is always bossing her around. Do you have any suggestions to correct this? They have been in the same class in school since 2nd grade and this doesnt happen in school only at home. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

Don't have any suggestions really, just to let you know I'm in the same boat. My son that is just 1 minute older is also the bossy one. His brother allows it to an extent, b/c he is pretty passive. But I don't like it at all. I encourage the quiet/passive one to choose first, go first, etc... I want things to be somewhat balanced. this frustrates the bossy one, but he deals w/ it and goes along w/ it. But if left to their own devices, Boss man would always be in charge...

2. QUOTE(Tripsmommy @ Jun 20 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]301085[/snapback]
    Don't have any suggestions really, just to let you know I'm in the same boat. My son that is just 1 minute older is also the bossy one. His brother allows it to an extent, b/c he is pretty passive. But I don't like it at all. I encourage the quiet/passive one to choose first, go first, etc... I want things to be somewhat balanced. this frustrates the bossy one, but he deals w/ it and goes along w/ it. But if left to their own devices, Boss man would always be in charge...

thanks for the info I will try to do that with the Katelyn. I will let her choose first and see if that help cut out the bossiness from her sister.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Have you thought about separating them? In school they are held in check, and the freedom of being home may be what triggers the behavior, and why it doesn't happen in school. My MIL was an ID twin, who was always together with her sister in school, and she felt that it really hurt her in the long run. Her sister died when they were in their 20's and even though MIL was already married, she started to flounder without her sister around. She has been one of the driving forces behind separating my boys--because she doesn't want to see what happened to her happen to them.