one just woke with a fever

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marcymiller, Jun 5, 2010.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Tomorrow afternoon is my girls second bday party! HURRAY!!! But B started in with a fever this eve of about 101 and just woke with a temp of 102.4. She has no other symptoms as far as i can tell. Theyve been working on their 2 year molars for about a month but i dont think thats what this fever is from..? What would you do? Postpone the party? But wahhhhh... Ive prepped all this food, stayed up way too late last 3 nights cleaning, got people coming from out of town.... And now my mind is bleary (its 1:10 am... Holding the vurning up lil girl).... Please advise

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Have you given her motrin or tylenol to break the fever?

I've had many times that my boys wake up with a fever and after giving them motrin, it goes away and they are fine. It could be something that's not contagious like an ear infection.

It's a hard one to call. I know you've done a lot of work getting ready for the party.

But do you really want to take the chance of getting other kids sick?

I would wait to see how she feels when she wakes up and keep giving her motrin or tylenol for the rest of the day.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Judy, I would start Tylenol or Motrin to help break the fever...I would see how she is doing by this afternoon to make your decision. I hope the fever breaks and you can have your party as planned!

4. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

I started her on ibuprofin right away. Now its 6:45 am and she's up and burning with 104 degree temp so i just gave her another dose. :( poor girl. No i dont want to get other kids or adults (especially older grandparents) sick. Its a much easier decision after a few hours sleep! I think ill tentatively try for tomorrow so the food, cakes, etc can still be used... But who am I kidding... My other daughter will probably start with a fever tonight!! Wish us luck!

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Oh no! Can you get her into the pedi office today? If not, there are those Take Care Clinic's in Walgreen's and CVS. This way you know what you are dealing with.

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:hug: sounds like you're making the right choice. I would try for next weekend, you want them both fever free for 24 hours. If it's less then that you may just want to ask those invited. I'm sure the older ones and the ones with kids won't go but some people just don't care. Good luck and keep us posted! Poor baby! :hug: