One birthday cake or two?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

The girls' third birthday is in a couple of weeks. How did that happen? Anyway, I'm curious if your twins share birthday cakes or do they get their own. Last year, I made two short birthday cakes by making one cake, but baking it as two layers and each girl got a layer. I'm tempted to make one regular birthday cake this year, but I feel a little bad that they have to share it. How does everyone else do it?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I think you pretty much need two when you get to the stage where they start blowing candles. I'd just get two smaller ones in different favors for some variety.

3. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are doing separate cakes for their 4th birthday, but it's the first time we are doing separate cakes.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is the first year we will be doing separate cakes. Usually we get one cake and two cupcakes.

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I made one big one castle cake last year and then they each had their own small princess cake. This year they have specifically asked for just one cake to share, which I, personally, am surprised by, but if that's what they want. I have always made sure that they each have their own cake every year, so this will be the first year I have just made one, and only because they requested it that way.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We did two cakes for first birthday and a cupcake cake for 2nd. Haven't decided for 3rd yet.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

We've always gotten two cakes. :good:

8. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We did individual mini cakes for the 1st b-day, a shared Elmo cake for 2nd b-day and individual character cakes for 3rd b-day. From now on, we'll do individual cakes so they each can have their own "theme."

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have always done 2 cakes in the past. This year we did cupcakes, decorated 2 different ways, I found it much easier & I didn't have so much cake leftover!

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did one cake this year for their third. I like Costco cakes, and for $16.99 you can't beat it. And because the cakes are so large, we get one. But I put two sets of candles on the cake so they could each blow them out.

11. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Same here. One big cake and we sing to each of them separately.

eta-I was surprised to see so many did separate cakes and then I noticed most everyone above has b/g twins. I wonder if b/g twins more often have different cakes because of more of a chance to have different interests.

12. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Wow, that was fast. I remember your posts on ovusoft when you were pregnant and that seems like yesterday. The first birthday we did separate cakes, but for their second birthday they shared a cake at the two parties we had for them. I have to make a special cake for DS due to his milk/butter allergies and DD is on the same diet since they are always grabbing each others food, so it was just easier. The funny thing is no one even noticed the butter cream frosted cakes were made from soy products and even commented on how good they tasted.

I think that unless they start to express an interest in wanting their own cake since they share a birthday I would make one cake. I expect as mine get older she will want a girlie cake and he will want something with cars or a cartoon character on it. Maybe cupcakes would be a good idea. Aren't cupcakes the in thing right now?

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

1st bday was 2 cakes (2 flavors) and 2 small cakes for them to smash. 2nd bday was the same size 2 small cakes for them and then cupcakes for everyone else.

I like being able to have the ability to have 2 different flavors if you want... For the small cakes I used a small - maybe 4" pyrex dish to make them. I suppose I won't continue forever to make them their own cakes...

if you had your kids at different times they would get their own cake... but I guess since its just one party I can see possibly doing just 1 cake.

If you want to just bake one cake... you could decorate it a little different on each side if you wanted...

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I should have specified - where I come from we don't have those huge fancy decorated cakes with buttercream etc (which I really don't like by the way, lol). It's small 8 inch plain cakes usually (or with layers, but never covered, and decorations are just meringue/sugar things you put on top). So we always had two because they were so small anyway.

Here, I really don't know what we're going to do. For the first birthday they each had a small cube that they didn't eat, and we had a bigger cake, for the second birthday it was just 6 of us so we only had one cake. We'll probably just get one cake for the third birthday too, but once we have enough people to justify buying two cakes, we'll probably go with two smaller ones. Birthday or not I've always liked giving people options anyway.

15. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

I would suggest cupcakes for everyone and maybe a cupcake that is a little larger for each of your kids! We have b/b twins and have always done separate cakes that are individualized, but have alway sung to them together...

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

At our family party (about 14 people), we do cupcakes. Then at their friends party, we do a big sheet cake from Costco (we've been very happy with the quality, and it's much cheaper than any other option I've found), and put two sets of candles -- one at each end of the cake. So the kids can sit next to each other at the table and each blow out their own candles.

This works well for us, so I don't anticipate changing it until they get to the age where they want completely separate parties. Though we may have to quit getting Costco cakes next year when we start having smaller parties. In preschool they invite ALL their friends (up to 30 kids!) but I've already told them that starting in K, they'll each get to choose 5-6 kids. That won't be enough to come anywhere close to using up a whole Costco cake.

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we've always done one cake - usually we can do a b/g theme - like Dora and Diego, Mickey and Minnie etc...

not sure what will happen for their 5th birthday - since I think we're going to have a class party it will be cup cakes!

18. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I had two boys or two girls, I would be less likely to do two cakes. I want them each to be able to have the "theme" that they want for their birthday, so for the 3rd birthday I bought Thomas invitations, plates, etc and princess ones. Then at cake time, we sang once with both of their names included and they each had their own cake. The guests can pick which cake they wanted (Thomas cake was chocolate, princess cake was white).

I also make their cakes at home from a mix and decorate them with toppings from the party store, so it's not a big expense to do two cakes.

19. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

This past birthday (when they turned 5) was the first time we did 2 cakes. The only reason we did was they wanted different flavors. My kids are happy as long as they get cake so one or two isn't an issue; I just decided it would be easier to do two rather than different halves of one cake. I say do whatever would make them happy.

20. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

We did 2 cakes for the girls at 3 years old and recently at 4 years old. Specifically because they like different flavours and different themes. Chloe had Buzz Lightyear and Ashley had Ariel this year hahahaha

21. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

We have done two cakes and we have done one cake, it just depends on what type of cake they want. One daughter likes chocolate cake and the other likes yellow so we always have to use two cake mixes anyway. For the times they have shared a cake we put candles on each side for them so they had their own. Mine have never had a problem sharing a cake. This past year we did cupcakes because that is what they wanted.

22. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For us it depends. First birthday we did two costco cakes one chocolate one vanilla. 2nd birthday one cake that was including in the party package. 3rd one huge ice cream cake. 4th and 5th each got their own costco cake (one chocolate and one vanilla).

23. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So far for their first birthday I did 2 cakes, each in the shape of the #1, one was of course blue and the other pink.

I'll probably continue to do 2 cakes, it seems silly but I look at it like this. My older kids, who don't share a birthday, each get their own cake. I make them myself so it's not crazy expensive. So just because they share a birthday doesn't mean they should have to share their cake too ;)

As it happens, my oldest ds's birthday is feb 17th, and the twins is feb 21st, so I'm going to have 3 cakes going for their party! :lol: We'll have one big party for all three kids. This year my oldest ds is (so far) requesting a hot wheels cake to be shared with his little bro, so I might get away with just 2 cakes instead of 3 ;)

24. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I always bake my girls their own cake. They get to pick the flavors and do with it what they want. They still just dig into their own cakes on their birthday. As we say in my house "Just forks!" But for a birthday party, I might just do cupcakes or one big cake for everyone.

25. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We do separate cakes for our little family celebration on the actual day of their birthday. For their birthday parties with family and friends we either do one cake or cupcakes. :good:

26. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

The 1st year we did cupcakes. Year 2, we did cupcakes and a large cake. Year 3, we just did one cake with two #3 candles. It was a smaller party this year. So, I didn't see the need to have that much cake. Year 4, I will probably do 2 cakes and let them pick. DD really wanted a pink cake this year and was disappointed that she didn't get one. BUT...she didn't tell me until after I had already ordered the cake and it was too late. So, lesson learned for me.

27. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 3 this week and this is the first year I'm getting two cakes. I was at Dominick's (Safeway) today and they have these cute petite cakes for $6.99/each. I'm having one made is chocolate and the other in white.

28. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

This year we did two cakes using one cake mix -- each got a layer. I decorated it myself ... not professional but it fit the bill. One wanted a spider cake with sprinkles (girl) and the other a computer and Dora (girl). It wasnt that hard. We also decorated cupcakes at my moms for one of the parties. We have a close in age younger child. So I got the idea from a Twins group where they decorated a cake and then each child (birthday or not) got a chance to blow out the candles. This seems to go over really well with all the kids and even the Birthday girls enjoy watching others blow out the cake too.