Olive oil for constipation?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by TwinxesMom, Aug 2, 2009.

1. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I've read that this is healthier to give than mineral oil since Its natural. Jazz is almost always constipated. She strains slot and when I don't give her meds she only poops rabbit pellets. She will poop on the potty so it's not reluctance to do that. I don't know if she's just not wanting to stop playing or if it's some thing else. She eats a pretty balanced diet where as Jessy doesn't yet poops better

2. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

We have tried everything and the only thing that works for my son is Miralax or the fiber gummy penguins. HTH

3. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I'm sure things change as they get older so forgive me if this suggestion is completely off, but for mine, sweet potatoes are the key. They love them and they never have an issue when they eat them :good: Just something else to try! Sometimes I bake them in olive oil, so maybe that helps?

4. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I had a gastroenterologist tell me once that bananas are the magic food for stool regulation (that wasn't my issue - my dad had colon cancer at a young age so I was consulting about that). The pectin in them will firm up a loose stool and loosen up constipation, so it's a win-win situation. Maybe try increasing her banana intake if that is something she likes?

5. li li

li li Well-Known Member

(Poop, just lost a long post)

Very interesting about bananas, I always thought they were constipating. We'll have to try them the other way too.

Here (Israel) doctors always recommend raw tomatos with their skin. We found it helps to avoid constipation, but didn't help so much when DD developed severe constipation. No one have ever recommended olive oil to us. Which, given have popular it is here, seems to suggest it may not be that helpful.

What we did find helpful for ongoing serious constipation was Miralax, except DD didn't like the taste (her sister loved it). In then end the most helpful was Lactulose (you'll have to google a US brand name) which is natural, sweet and works by drawing more water into the large intestine thereby softening the stools). DD loved it and our doctor told us that, as the molecule is so large, the lactulose is not absorbed and just passes through the body - so no chemicals in the body.

OTOH I just read and article comparing the pediatric use of Mineral Oil and Lactulose and saying the former works even better and with no side effects (we didn't see any side effects with Lactulose). You just have to be careful with dose, as mineral oil can cause fecal incontinence if too much is given.

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We use Miralax, Mineral Oil, and foods w/ a lot of fiber (think yoguurt w/ fiber, wheat germ to foods, grapes, raisins, pear juice, etc).

Our Pediatric GI has us use Mineral oil for mild cases of constipation---Miralax daily. The Mineral oil makes stool very orangey/greasy looking,so be warned- if you give too much.

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Miralax? Highly recommend that stuff.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to get her into he dr this week along with Jessy. They seem to have a summer cold. The last dr just told us more water which she drinks plenty