Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by first_second_and_last, Mar 30, 2007.

1. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

My babies LOVE Gerber baby oatmeal. They get it every day for breakfast and used to get it twice a day for about 3 months. We use a lot of it. [​IMG]

My question is this: when can you transition them to regular oatmeal? I bought a box of plain Quaker Old Fashioned oats at Costco ages ago for me, but my diet doesn't allow it. [​IMG]

I'm not sure if I should just throw it away (spring cleaning fever!) or if the babies can start eating it. What's the difference between the baby oatmeal and regular?

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I think it would be okay for them to eat it but they may have texture issues with it. Mine eat oatmeal mixed half and half with yobaby yogurt and love it. It makes it thin enough it won't choke them and it flavors it without added sugar.

3. Trillian

Trillian Well-Known Member

Maybe if you run it through the blender before cooking it to break up the 'oats' it might give it a smoother texture.

4. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I've given it a few times to my girls. I also mix it with yobaby yogurt. Your babies should be fine (age wise), you can always try it and see how they do. Good luck

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

You can process the Quaker oats in a food processor and make Baby Oatmeal out of it. (There's a recipe on this page.) The nice thing is that you can grind it up as much, or as little, as you want. Once my kids are old enough that texture doesn't bother them, I switch to regular oatmeal instead of baby oatmeal.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

We've been using the Quaker Oats since the babies were 9 mos old, at the suggestion of the pedi. Zoe has lots of problems getting constipated & for some reason he said the regular Quaker kind would be better for her than the baby kind. They both love it! Every morning I mix about 3 tablespoons of oatmeal with boiling water & let it sit to soak up and cool off, then I mix in a stage 2 size jar of fruits ..... something like peaches, pears, or they really love the pear/pineapple combination. Some days I'll mix in a little bit of plain yogurt, too. Anyway, they love it. Sometimes Johnny won't eat as much, but that depends more on the kind of fruit that I mix in with it.

Now that they're older I've been making bigger amounts, though.