Okay, so here is the plan

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

Jack and Lily are 14 months and have BOTH been consistently skipping their am nap. Lily has been doing it for awhile but I have continued to put her down for it as I was waiting for Jack to catch up. Very unlike Jack to do, but he has been skipping this nap as well.

They now wake at 7:30, bottle at 7:45, b-fast at 8:30, first nap at 9:30, snack at 11, lunch at 1:30, second nap at 2:30, snack at 4:30, dinner at 6:00, bottle at 7, and a 7:30 bedtime.

I am trying to wean out the 2 bottles we are down to now as well as drop the nap.
    The plan is:

Eat b-fast at 8/8:30 (with milk sippy)
    Snack at 11am (with milk sippy)
    Nap at 11:30
    lunch when they wake
    Snack at 5ish
    Dinner at 6 (with milk sippy)
    Bed at 7pm

Does that make sense? Pushing them from 9:30 to 11:30 is NOT going to be easy...for them or me!

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I would suggest doing it slowly, that's what we had to do. I increased it by 15 min. every several days to eventually work up to that time. My girls now nap at 12:00, but we started out at 10:00 at 15 months. I would say it took a couple of months to get there.

Be prepared for some extra crankiness in the morning and then in the afternoon. This will diminish as they get used to the new schedule.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I think your schedule looks good. If you need to, I would follow Michelle's advice of gradually increasing the time. Good luck!! :hug99:

4. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

Hi
    I think gradual, too...I jsut moved them to 10am and they both transitioned well. Good luck!

5. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AimeeS @ Jul 27 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]898678[/snapback]
    Hi
    I think gradual, too...I jsut moved them to 10am and they both transitioned well. Good luck!

When you go gradually, do you still put then down for the pm nap?

Thanks,
    AMy

6. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ahmerl @ Jul 27 2008, 11:42 AM) [snapback]898686[/snapback]
    When you go gradually, do you still put then down for the pm nap?

Thanks,
    AMy

Amy, I didn't put them down for the pm nap. I did try to have 'special' things to do in the afternoon when they were fussy and there were a few nights they went down a little early because none of us could stand anymore ;)!

It took a couple of slightly rough weeks and a couple of better ones and the girls have been going down for the one nap between 12:30 and 1 now!

7. KPS1971

KPS1971 Well-Known Member

AMy,
    When we moved to one nap I made the same jump as you, 9:30 to 11:30. I scheduled early playdates or scheduled fun AM outings to keep them engaged and not thinking about sleeping. Just be very careful if you decide to do this and stay close to home. You don't want them to fall alseep in the car unless they transfer to their cribs eaisly. We stayed at 11:30 for a few months and then I moved it to 12:30 and now they go down at 1:30 or 2pm.

This seemed to work well for my guys and me. We got in such a habit of running errands, playdates, zoo trips etc in the mornings that now if I try to do something after nap they don't want to go out.