ok I give up

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LB, May 12, 2009.

1. LB

LB Well-Known Member

we have reached the end of the honeymoon stage when it comes to big boy beds. Right now they are both up there laughing and having a grand old time. I was in there 4 times now to tell them they are not to get out of their beds and yet again..they are out. I have a gate on the door frame and the door closed although I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they open the door. I give up..I have no idea what else to do. Do you just let them go until they get tired on their own or do you keep going in the room ? For naps I have been sitting in the room until they fall asleep which is about 15-20 minutes and I tried that tonight and that didn't work. Apparently they aren't tired enough yet. The last few nights they went to bed later so I think that helped and I thought they were tired now but no...do I just let this go or keep going in there? I'm getting more and more irritated by going in. Please tell me this will get better!

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug: It will get better! I'm sorry they are pushing it right now. It may take some time of sitting outside the door. That's what did it for my kids. Now MOST of the time they do fine, but there is still the occassional difficult bedtime.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would go up there and sit in the room and dont make eye contact, but place them back in their beds each time they get out. They will get the point!

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ May 12 2009, 07:20 PM) [snapback]1310914[/snapback]
    I would go up there and sit in the room and dont make eye contact, but place them back in their beds each time they get out. They will get the point!

I was going to say the same thing. The Supernanny trick! :good:

How long are they playing for? Mine play at night also. It doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't go on for more than a 1/2 hour. Some nights it does take me a few tries to get them down. I try to tire them out as much as possible in the afternoon so when it's bedtime they are ready. Somedays it's harder than others to do that though.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleL @ May 12 2009, 08:40 PM) [snapback]1311024[/snapback]
    I was going to say the same thing. The Supernanny trick! :good:

I loves me sum Supernanny :laughing:

(It totally works)!!

6. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

We never had that problem, but I wonder if it's becuase we put a nightstand between their beds, so they really didn't 'see' each other (it was actually a solid wood end table that we re-purposed) And also for the first 3 weeks that they were in their beds, we sat in the room with them until they fell asleep (had to, one wouldn't let us leave the room! LOL) We CIO after that, and only 1 night did our cryer wake her sister up. Now they just stay in their beds, listen to their music and fall asleep.

Naptime is a whole nother story though! THAT'S where we have problems - playing, laughing, carrying on. It took a month of no naps, and me sitting in and reading them a story and singing, to finally get them to take naps again WITHOUT decorating the walls in poo art!

GL, hopefully it passes quickly for you.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I used to go in their room to remind them to go to sleep -- that was a few months ago, when all they did was play and talk to each other. Now they scream for me. :angry: I'd be happy if all they were doing was playing!

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ May 12 2009, 07:20 PM) [snapback]1310914[/snapback]

That's what I was going to suggest since I saw it worked for the Supernanny! :good:

Good luck. I hope they get it soon. :hug: :hug:

9. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Most all of my kids take about 2 weeks to adjust to the big bed. THey need to explore the freedom!

Cindy

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Maybe cut their nap a little early and either let them play a bit or sit in there and do the supernanny trick. I used to do that. It's hard to ignore them but you have to! I would probably let them extinguish themselves and go in an check on them later. They might fall asleep on the floor or something a few times. Mine used to leave the room and I would sit outside the room (got a lot of reading done). I wish I had put a gate across!!! You are headed in the right direction!!!! :hug:

It was a painful transition for me, but we are light years beyond that now!!! :hug:

11. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

For my twins, I just let them go until they pass out. We just moved to beds about 4 weeks ago. I did the stay in the room thing and the sit outside the door thing and it just doesn't do anything but make me angry and make them laugh. I have to mention they have autism and don't understand a lot of language so telling them to get back in bed is pointless. I spent hours putting them back in bed and me being there just made them stay awake longer. For US, and only us it seems, it works best to just let them have their fun and fall asleep when they will. They have gotten progressively better at going to sleep within 30-45 mins and hoestly, that does not bother me at all.

With typically developing kids, reason and standing your ground "Super Nanny" style might be a good way to go. My oldest (singleton), never got out of bed once we put him to bed, so it must be a more common twin "problem"! Good luck getting them to sleep!!

Kelly