Officially Starting Real Solids

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by serranoboys, Dec 27, 2007.

1. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

Okay, we're taking the plunge and starting vegetables today. I would love to start out with something that I can make myself with little effort. Can someone help me decide what would be the best food to start with? The doctor said to start with green vegetables and I'm kind of thinking avacado would be pretty easy but I don't know if it's too chunky. How should I prepare them/how much? I'm nervous! Help!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(serranoboys @ Dec 27 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]547687[/snapback]
    Okay, we're taking the plunge and starting vegetables today. I would love to start out with something that I can make myself with little effort. Can someone help me decide what would be the best food to start with? The doctor said to start with green vegetables and I'm kind of thinking avacado would be pretty easy but I don't know if it's too chunky. How should I prepare them/how much? I'm nervous! Help!

I've put avocado in the food processor and then thinned it out a little with formula. My girls didn't really like it. I started with sweet potatoes and its still a huge hit many months later. GL and have the camera ready!!!

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We didn't have much luck with avocado either. Sweet potatoes were a bit hit, as were carrots and peas. Those are all easy to make... bake or steam and then blend up until really soupy in your food processor. Add breast milk or formula as needed for consistency and ENJOY! Oh, be prepared for your twins not to "get it" for awhile. It took my girls about three weeks before they stopped spitting everything out.

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

If you want to start with green vegetables, I would get one of those "steam fresh" bags of frozen green beans, and you can stick the whole bag in the microwave for five minutes, then stick a handful in the blender or food processor with a little water -- that will work fine. (If you have a Magic Bullet, that works GREAT.)

I've heard that frozen veggies are sometimes more nutrient rich than fresh ones, because they're flash-frozen when they're first picked, instead of sitting on a shelf for a long time....

5. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i agree w/sweet potatoes, they are still a big favorite with the kids.

6. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

Pedi said to start w/green veggies? Hmm . . . I had always been told to start with orange veggies. So we started with 3 days of sweet potatoes. We then did 3-4 days each of:

carrots
    squash
    apples
    pears
    bananas
    green beans
    peas
    apricots
    peaches
    plums . . .

I think we're doing mangos or papayas next. They like everything so far but they seem to LOVE sweet potatoes, apples, peas, apricots and pears. Good luck!

7. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

We actually did avocado as one of their first foods and they loved it. make sure it is ripe, you can warm it a bit in the microwave to help soften it even more, then just mash with a fork or pulse for a second in the blender or food processor.
    I find peas to be extremely easy to make and both babies have loved them. go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com for the best tips in preparing your own and I just found this produce guide from foodnetwork on what produce is in season and when and the best way to choose fruits and veggies. good luck!

8. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to specifically start with veggies, you don't want to start with avocado, it is a fruit.

9. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

We were told orange veggies as well and sweet potatoes were the first. You can buy about 4 sweet potatoes and make with that and water to thin it out about 60 oz. of baby food. We are still using it up and I made it a month ago. Carrots are easy as well.

Beans and peas are a little thicker and sometimes have chunks so we did those once they got used to "chewing"!

Good luck and remember to have fun!

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

I started all of my kids on sweet potatoes with great results! They all loved them. They are easy to make too!