Odd Middle of the Night Behaviour

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lydia, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I know many of us are struggling with night time wakings, bad dreams, and terrors. However, I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of behaviour in the middle of the night. For the last few weeks, my daughter has been waking up a couple times a week, screaming and inconsolable. She gets angry when I go in to see what's wrong. She wants her father. So he goes in, and usually quiets down. However, she carries on for an hour or more. Last night she wanted to come downstairs, and my husband brought her down thinking she was thirsty, but instead she got on the floor and crawled over to the corner and put her head down. He picked her up after ten minutes and brought her to our bed, where she lay awake for three hours. Does anybody have any idea what this is? Also, anyone with ideas how to deal with it? I'm perplexed and concerned.

2. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

Not with night time but recently a few times during nap Lyla has begin screaming and kicking her crib and I go in and acts very angry but also confused and although they are very verbal children, she won't tell me what is wrong. But she has always calmed down after a few minutes.

I dont' think it's unusual that your DD is screaming for her father and it seem like the behavior downstairs might just be a result of some disorientation from waking up from a deep sleep (who know's what woke her up). I would make the policy that you don't leave her bedroom, she might be more comforted to be put back in her bed where she knows that she "belongs" for night night. We keep a waterbottle with straw in the bedroom so if we go it (which we dont' always go in), we offer a sip of water, maybe a song and then right back to the crib. Does she have a lovey or stuffed animal that she sleeps with. I always make a big deal about them having it, I'll say "Oh, there is doggie, he was hiding, here he is, now you can go night night" (even if she isn't looking for him), it seems to trick her into calming down and remembering that she needs to go to sleep.

Good luck, kids this age can have such odd behavior at night, I wouldn't worry! GL

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Is she getting enough sleep? I know when my one son does not get enough, he will wake up crying numerous times. Most of the time he can put himself back to sleep but other times I have to go in there.

4. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Possible night terrors?? One of my 5 year olds use to do this when he was younger. Not crawl into a corner or anything but would wake up screaming and crying and throwing himself around. Sometimes he wanted me sometimes he wanted my husband. He was inconsolable also and would never tell us what was wrong. He wouldnt really focus on anything so I always assumed he was still sleeping even though his eyes were open. Afte a while he would calm down and act like it never happened. Asked for something to drink and went to his room to go to sleep or watch tv. Sometimes it lasted 15min somethings A LOT longer. Good news is they do grow out of it... We are dealing with it with our now almost 2 year old however they are no where near as bad or long