Octuplets born in Southern California

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff-old, Jan 26, 2009.

1. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Not many details are known yet, but a Bellflower, California mom gave birth to octuplets today, six girls and two boys. The babies weighed between 1 lb, 8 oz and 3 lbs, 4 oz and all are listed in stable condition at Kaiser Permanante Hospital. Obviously when you have babies that small (and we're assumng premature although the story doesn't mention the gestational week), it's going to be a long, uphill battle for these babies to make it.

The only other set of octuplets in the United States, the Houston Chukwu family, turned 10 years old about a month ago. One of those octuplets died a week after birth but the other seven children are healthy and doing well today.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6231541.html

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Wow! I cannot even imagine having 8 newborns at the same time! I almost went crazy with just 2!!

3. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

Here's the story!

Holy cow! All the babies are reported to be doing well. Amazing!!

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I can't imagine. I hope everything turns out ok with all of them.

5. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

I was just reading that she was only expecting 7 but to everyones surprise there was an 8th.

6. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a lot. Glad they are doing well.

7. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Wow! I hope they all do well.

What gestation were they born at?

8. rheamay

Two physicians who helped in the deliveries said they had planned in advance for the c-section deliveries but were only expecting seven babies. They got six boys and two girls. “My eyes got to be the size of saucers,” Dr. Karen Maples said when it became obvious there was an eighth child. “We just went on and delivered the babies.”

I just read this on the LA Times! I can't find anything about what gestation they were.

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

WOW. I seriously cannot imagine life with 8 newborns at home. Yikes!

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:eek: Now thatsalottababies!! I hope they all do well.

11. avd1995

avd1995 Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing!

The article said they are the world's second-ever octuplets.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

The OP's link says they were born about 9 weeks premature. Thats AMAZING for 8 babies! The largest wasn't that much smaller my 34 weeks. I hope they continue to do well.

13. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

Omg, that is just truly amazing!

14. rheamay

QUOTE(avd1995 @ Jan 26 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1163374[/snapback]
    Pretty amazing!

The article said they are the world's second-ever octuplets.

I read they were the USA's 2nd ever set. But others have been born through out the world. Not many, but some.

15. rheamay

QUOTE(Leighann @ Jan 26 2009, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1163375[/snapback]
    The OP's link says they were born about 9 weeks premature.

:laughing: I wondered how I missed that information since I was looking all over for it! But that article has changed and more info added just in the past 30 mins. I was thinking i was crazy. :) :)

16. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

WOW!!! 8 carseats, 8 cribs, 8 highchairs, 8 swings lol
    hope all the babies do well!

17. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

WOW! I am hoping all will be well. Eight little blessings!

18. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

OMG, I can't even begin to fathom that. THe fact that they are all doing good is just super amazing!!!! I had to kind of chuckle on the fact in the article that said they wanted it to remain anonymous and no one would comment if she had been doing any fertility treatments. Now, I think it's safe to assume she was doing some kind of fertility treatment. Either way, I'm still shocked! That's crazy! I can't imagine!

19. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

While I do hope all the babies and mom do well, I am sort of sad this type of thing can still happen with the availablity of good fertility treatments, seems irresponible to me.

20. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

OMG!! I can't even wrap my brain around taking care of 8 babies!!!! I hope they have LOTS of help! Think how long it would take just to get all of them in carseats and to the vehicle if they all go somewhere at once!!!!! Holy Cow! I certainly hope they all make it and good luck to the parents!

21. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I cannot even imagine 8 babies! I wish them all of the best!

22. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I can't believe they missed a babies on u/s. I mean I guess it's hard to tell who belongs where etc but to miss a baby - that is crazy!

23. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Best of luck to all of them!!!! I hope and pray everyone stays healthy. I also hope and pray they have a lot of help and a lot of money!!!

24. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Wow wow wow. And only 9 weeks premature? Incredible.

I did LOL at the "wouldn't comment if she had been using fertility drugs" ... um, you were, and we all know it. Duh.

25. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

Wow that is going to be alot of work!

26. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is amazing...I am so glad to hear they are doing so well!! Kuddos to the mom for carrying them that far!

The fertility treatment question is funny to even think they don't want to mention it. Guess they know they will catch so much slack from people. I am not saying they deserve the slack but I am sure they are going to catch some and probaby think that by dodging the question they can dodge the comments?

Question...the other octuplets...did they all survive or did one pass away shortly after birth?

27. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4jsinPA @ Jan 27 2009, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1163723[/snapback]
    That is amazing...I am so glad to hear they are doing so well!! Kuddos to the mom for carrying them that far!

The fertility treatment question is funny to even think they don't want to mention it. Guess they know they will catch so much slack from people. I am not saying they deserve the slack but I am sure they are going to catch some and probaby think that by dodging the question they can dodge the comments?

Question...the other octuplets...did they all survive or did one pass away shortly after birth?

just read a story on the other octuplets one passed away a few days after birth, but 7 of them just celebrated their 10th birthday wow! can u imagine that party

28. caba

caba Banned

Holy crap. That's too many babies. Sounds like irresponsible fertility treatment.

29. becky5

becky5 Guest

Wow. I hope they continue to do well.

30. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Jan 27 2009, 03:34 AM) [snapback]1163445[/snapback]
    While I do hope all the babies and mom do well, I am sort of sad this type of thing can still happen with the availablity of good fertility treatments, seems irresponible to me.

That's kind of what they were hinting at on the Today Show. They did mention that selective reduction was most likely offered since most women's bodies don't "accept" that many embryos when implanted. They did also say that it WAS infertility treatment, but didn't mention what kind. I wonder how many are (if any) are identical twins? I wonder how many embryos implanted and if any split...that sort of thing. They also eluded to the fact that it's kind of a crazy situation b/c they will need more help when the kids are ages 2-5 b/c that's when they would get the developmental help, etc and that's when most kids "fall through the cracks" being born in big groups like this.

QUOTE(4jsinPA @ Jan 27 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1163723[/snapback]

Yep, the other set was born in 1998 and one died about a week after their birth. They had video of their baptism on Today Show today...was pretty amazing to see!

31. Chase&Parker's Mommy

Chase&Parker's Mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Jan 26 2009, 10:34 PM) [snapback]1163445[/snapback]

I have to agree with you Kristi – it is very irresponsible. While I have NO problem in achieving parenthood by any means necessary, this is a perfect example of why the female human body is not MEANT to carry 8 babies.

Seems to me that Jon and Kate were getting too much attention and these folks decided to one-up them. I'm sure that they will receive plenty of help once they eventually come out of the closet (which we all know they will, it's kinda hard to be covert with a 8 seat stroller).

32. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, how exciting! That is really neat!

33. rheamay

Wow, they just reported on the Today show that all the babies are OFF vents! That's awesome.

34. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

While I am happy that all of those babies are alive and doing well it makes me really sad at the same time. The woman from Sudan who concieved 5 children without assitance in a war torn country (I am sure she wasnt trying for that many) didnt get hardly any coverage and isnt really getting any help taking care of her kids and she desperately needs it. I guess she didnt have enough babies for the community to step in and donate more than two cribs? But no, lets send Jon and Kate to Hawaii!!! :rolleyes:

Its like these women keep trying to up the bar to see how many they can produce at one time! She will probably get all kinds of help from everyone and I hate to say it, but she did this to herself.

35. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Wow- I'm super impressed that she made it to 30 weeks!!!! I wish them the best!