OB Update

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Laura in Alaska, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I'm between laptops and haven't been able to sign on for a few days! Hopefully, I'll get my new laptop soon, cuz being without it is like detox! I'm using my DHs desktop, but can only stand to sit here for a few min at a time.

I had an OB appt last week, but my doc was in surgery so I saw another one of the clinic docs. For the first time EVER, i walked in with a LONG LIST of complaints because this 3rd trimester is hitting me HARD!! I wanted to ask about EVERYTHING just in case there was any reason for concern. I didn't want to leave anything out. So, I warn her that I have a list today and she all but rolls her eyes. As I start reading my list, she just nods and smiles and essentially dismisses everything I have to say. Now, I know that almost all pregnant women have the same complaints, but I'm an individual so don't treat me like that!

Then I mentioned that my reg OB wanted to start doing the fetal fibronectin test at this appt. This time, she didn't just roll her eyes, she laughed out loud and proceeded to tell me how its a wonderful test for singleton pregnancies, but that there is no proof that it indicates anything for twins. So, she just checked me for dialation and left. She measured my tummy and we heard the HBs, but she didn't tell us how big i measured or what their HBs were. Needless to say, I don't want to see her again!

On the good side, we will start having NSTs after the new year. I know it won't be fun, but it does make me feel like we're getting closer to the finish line. [​IMG]

~Laura

BTW ~ Congrats to Sara! That is such good news!

2. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I'm between laptops and haven't been able to sign on for a few days! Hopefully, I'll get my new laptop soon, cuz being without it is like detox! I'm using my DHs desktop, but can only stand to sit here for a few min at a time.

I had an OB appt last week, but my doc was in surgery so I saw another one of the clinic docs. For the first time EVER, i walked in with a LONG LIST of complaints because this 3rd trimester is hitting me HARD!! I wanted to ask about EVERYTHING just in case there was any reason for concern. I didn't want to leave anything out. So, I warn her that I have a list today and she all but rolls her eyes. As I start reading my list, she just nods and smiles and essentially dismisses everything I have to say. Now, I know that almost all pregnant women have the same complaints, but I'm an individual so don't treat me like that!

Then I mentioned that my reg OB wanted to start doing the fetal fibronectin test at this appt. This time, she didn't just roll her eyes, she laughed out loud and proceeded to tell me how its a wonderful test for singleton pregnancies, but that there is no proof that it indicates anything for twins. So, she just checked me for dialation and left. She measured my tummy and we heard the HBs, but she didn't tell us how big i measured or what their HBs were. Needless to say, I don't want to see her again!

On the good side, we will start having NSTs after the new year. I know it won't be fun, but it does make me feel like we're getting closer to the finish line. [​IMG]

~Laura

BTW ~ Congrats to Sara! That is such good news!

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am sorry that you had to see that doctor! I hate it when I have to see someone that dismisses everything - because you are an individual and she should have taken the time to explain things to you! and there have been lots of ladies here that have had that test done! I would call Monday and ask your regular doctor about it!
    and with the NSTs - make sur they don't try to lay you flat! I find that if they can sit me upa bit that I do just fine! and at my OBs office - they try a few times to get both babies to cooperate but if they don't they just do an ultrasound (bpp).

4. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

OH UGH!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! I am so sorry that you had a doc like that...it feels like such a slap in the face when they treat you like a number and not a person...with their hand on the doorknob the whole time!

I hope you don't have to see her again!!!!

Glad you were able to hear the heartbeats!!! [​IMG]

5. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

How frustrating! I'm so glad my OB has her own practice. I'm her only twin mom left right now, and she totally babies me and tells me I don't complain enough. That doesnt make sense that a FFN test wont work on twins...I woud demand one for peace of mind! I get one every two weeks, and a NST every week (in office).

At this stage, we are getting closer to having these babies, and why should any doctor deny us some simple test that just might help us cook those babies longer! For goodness sakes, more tests just put more money in their pockets, so why should they care?

Take control, and sorry about that dummy doctor!

hugs,

jennifer

6. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

ugh! I would be really upset after a visit like that. I'm sorry she was so rotten. how frustrating that she just wrote everything off like that. I think I'd re-scheduel rather than see her again! hopefully you won't have to have a different DR. next time.

good luck with your upcomming NST! [​IMG] keep us posted.
    Michelle