OB just called, failed the one hour glucose screening

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mom23sweetgirlies, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

So now I am all freaked out! She told me I need to go to the clinic and do the 3 hour tolerance test, but didn't give me any details. From what I've read online you need to follow a special diet for 3 days before the test and eat nothing for 14 hours before getting the blood drawn 3 separate times over 3 hours. I wonder why they wouldn't tell me that? I really hope/pray I do not have gestational diabetes!

2. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, I failed both the one hour and the three hour test. I didn't have to do a special diet, but I believe I had to fast for xx number of hours before the test. I had to drink a super sweet icky syrup and then they did blood draws at 1, 2, and 3 hours. It's much more common to have GD with twins. I managed my GD with diet. It wasn't fun (no sweets...boo!), but it was very healthy and helped me keep my weight gain down. If you happen to have GD, they will send you to a dietician who will help develop a meal plan.

A lot of people fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour. There is still hope!
    Beth

3. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I failed my 1 hour, too, by 1 point. Mine was 141 and the official cut off is 140. So I did the 3 hour test just last week and had one elevated number out of the 4. My two hour blood draw was 159 and should have been under 155. Now I just have to watch my carb intake.

But yes, plenty of people fail the first and pass the second. But the fact that you failed the first one at all means just be a little more careful with what you eat.

4. mom23sweetgirlies

I just called to schedule the appointment, I go in on Thursday at 8. Their only directions were not to eat/drink anything after midnight, does that sound right? Thanks! With the first test nobody said anything about fasting, so I had oatmeal, peanut butter whole wheat toast and apple cider for breakfast at 6 a.m. and then nothing but water until after my blood draw at 1:20 p.m. I was on the high end of normal on the 1 hour with the twins but they didn't make me do the 3 hr or make any diet changes.

5. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

Don't fret, it's not the end of the world. Many women fail the first test and go on to pass the second one. I'm one of them ;)

I never had to do a special diet before my 3 hour test, other than fasting 12 hours before. And if you fail that test, they will probably get you to a nutritionist or someone that can help you find ways to monitor your diet throughout the pregnancy - it's a win/win for all involved really!

Wishing you the best...

6. mom23sweetgirlies

I think I'm just in shock that I failed the first because even though I like sugar, I think I eat pretty darn healthy, pretty much all of the carbs I eat are whole grains.

7. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the first one, I failed the first one with both pregnancies but was within the normal limits with the three hour test both times. It may have been because you ate or what you ate the day before. I also had to fast after midnight for both of my three hour tests.

8. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I've heard it helps pass the test to follow good eating habits for 2-3 days before.

The drink I had said to drink over 5 minutes...which I did and I think that helped get a better result than chugging it. Bring something healthy and with protein to eat immediately after the final blood draw, maybe crackers & cheese, you'll be starving!

Warning--some offices have removed all the magazines to prevent passing flu germs...3 hours is a long time, bring a good book!

9. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Good luck and I hope you pass this test with flying colors! Keep us posted.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Fasting from midnight is a good thing for the 3 hour test. And if you didn't fail it too badly, you'll probably pass the 3 hour. But don't puke during it because then you'll have to take it again!

11. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

You totally failed that first test because of what you ate girl!!! My sister failed one of her gd tests because of drinking a glass of OJ prior to it. Lesson learned... try to have a minimal amount to eat prior to even the 1 hour test. Go light on the carbs...cook up 2 eggs maybe... and no juice or sugar at all!!!! I've used this method with all of my pregnancies and pass the test with flying colors. But they don't tell you that because they view the test as something that should work no matter what you've eaten prior. It's simply not true. My midwife this time around actually did tell me to be careful what I ate this morning...guess they care a little more about whether or not their patients pass or fail based on a real gd issue or just a diet issue!!

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think so too. I don't think I was allowed to eat anything beforehand?

13. mom23sweetgirlies

That is so dumb that they don't tell you not to eat before the one hour! I definitely won't be eating anything for 12 hours before this test and I'll stand on my head if I have to to keep that orange stuff down. I feel pretty confident that I'll pass this one, fingers crossed. Thanks!

14. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

I was never allowed to eat after midnight when taking the 1-hour test. I had to take it at least twice, maybe three times. They always made sure I had the first appointment in the morning since I could not eat breakfast...and I would bring a snack to eat after the blood draw was done.

I am surprised they did not tell you to not eat! My doc did say that I could have a diet coke if I wanted it (I don't drink caffeine, so I never did it).

15. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Do not change your diet before the 3 hour (minus the required 12 hour starvation) unless you plan to keep it that way. If you knock out all your carbs for the couple of days before, you may end up with a false negative. You would rather know you have GD and get it properly treated, then to not know and have complications from it. Eat like you normally would.

16. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Yep before I took the 1 hour test my doctor told me to have a "light breakfast" at least 1 hour before the test and not to eat soemthing like " captain crunch". :)
    So I had a bran muffin and milk.

17. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I did spectacular with the boys, but failed miserably with baby girl. I failed the one hour by something outrageous. And I did fail the 3 hour and had to make dietary changes (sugar busters type diet) and take medication (glyburide) to control mine, but other than that it was fine.

Like others have said, unless you plan to cut out carbs/sugar totally for the rest of the pregnancy, I would eat like you ordinarily do and just fast when they tell you for the test. You don't want a false result and not know that you have GD. It's really not all that bad if you have a "milder" case like I did, i.e., no insulin injections. And if you didn't fail by much on the one hour, you will likely pass the 3 hours.

Warning though...they had to bring me a trash can when I did the 3 hour cause I turned all shades of green and thought for sure I'd be sick drinking the stuff on an empty stomach.

18. mom23sweetgirlies

Trust me I won't be changing my diet before the test other than the 12 hour fasting. As much as I don't want to have it, if I do I want to know so I can take care of it.

19. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think they will look at different levels as "passing / failing" the one hour- depending on if it was fasting or not. In other words, if you ate, they always ask me what it was - and then the cutoff is based on the fact I ate. If I fasted, that cutoff was lower. Hope that made sense.