O.K. we're doing CIO full blown!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by [email protected], Jul 4, 2008.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Well we've decided to do CIO. Last night I did it for a little while and today for naps we are doing it full blown. Quinn went right to sleep and Emerson on the other had cried immediately when we layed her down for 25 min, then fell asleep for 40 min. then cried for another 30 min. At that point I got her up. Quinn slept throught the whole freakin' thing, while I was paying bill and pacing the house like a maniac because it makes me crazy with anxiety. We went in every 5 or 10 min. to pat and shhhhh, we also quit swaddling her because she gets her arms out everytime, plus they will be 5 mo. next week. Am I doing it the right way, does anyone have anymore advice? Please, I hope this doesn't take more than a few days!!!!!!! Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

2. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

turn OFF your monitor. And don't go in.

You'll be fine, they'll be fine, and they WILL sleep better. I posted last week I think about our CIO experience. I was so against it, but after doing it, I'm a believer. Hang tough, mama.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would probably stop swaddling arms. Start with those out and wean them off the swaddle. You can switch to blanket sleepers in the cooler weather!

Then, turn off your monitor. Set your timer (egg timer or whatever) for 15 min. Then turn the monitor on when the timer goes off and check the progress. FOR US, it was WAY worse if I went in.

I also used to just put them pretty much to sleep in their swings and transfer them to their cribs (I would, yes, walk them up the stairs - they usually woke briefly, but quickly went back to sleep).

:hug99: I KNOW it's HARD!! :hug99: My Doc said we could start CIO at 4 mos. but I waited till about 6 mos. You might want to take this a little more slowly. I didn't realize how young they are. Put them in their bouncy or swing and then either transfer them or let them sleep there for one nap. I started HSHHC for SCHEDULE at mos. Worked like a charm!!

4. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

:hug99: It can be tough, but it really worked for us. I hope they do better at their next nap. I also would still swaddle, except for arms. I know that took a while for our girls to get used to, and maybe that would help out a little?

5. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

What is the adjusted age of your babies?

IMO 4 mths is too young.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

:hug99: When you do make up your mind to do it, the most important thing is consistency. I decided very quickly to not go in at all, because it just made the drying worse.

I know it's hard. :hug99:

7. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

:hug99: It'll be okay!

8. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Sending hugs your way.

Dianna

9. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Callen @ Jul 4 2008, 02:58 PM) [snapback]860388[/snapback]
    What is the adjusted age of your babies?

IMO 4 mths is too young.

It is too young for most babies. I desperately wanted it to work at that age, but it never did. It makes all of us momma's crazy...you're not alone. I tried this at four months (3 adjusted) and it did NOT work...it seemed too then it didn't etc. etc. It didn't actually work for us until almost 7 months.

Best wishes!

10. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

How did it go?