Nursery water vs Tap water

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amymarie3, May 22, 2010.

1. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

I have started to give one of my boys water once in a while for constipation. What is the difference between nursery water and tap water? Does it really matter?

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I think that nursery water is the same as distilled water. Distilled water means it has been cleaned to make it just as clean as city tap water. We have a private well so we don't use our tap water--we buy jugs of distilled water for their formula.

Some nursery water also has fluoride, which can be a problem for some babies.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never used nursery water, I've always just used tap water. I did boil it when they were really tiny, but after the first 3 or 4 weeks, I didn't even do that anymore.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you have city water then you should be fine to use tap water, you can ask your ped for sure.

The nursery water is cleaned and distilled so it's clear of any impurities. As someone said it sometimes has extra flouride in it, but you have to be careful because too much flouride can cause flouridosis (I know I massacred that spelling), which can cause spots on their teeth even before they come in. Again, best to ask your ped about what to use in your area :)

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

tap water in most areas contains fluoride and fluoride isn't recommended for babies under 6 months. it can cause permanent staining of teeth in high quantities. i checked for information on our water supply's fluoride level and decided i wasn't comfortable with how high it is so we did distilled water instead.

nursery water sometimes contains fluoride, too. plain old distilled water in the water aisle of your grocery store is purified and cheaper. with nursery water you pay more for a picture of a baby on the label. :rolleyes:

6. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Nursery water has fluoride which is not recommended for babies anymore so we switched to Gerber pure water-however any plain purified water will do. You could use tap but may need to be boiled under 6 mos. After 6 just get a filter for the tap or a pitcher with a filter