Nursemaid's Elbow twice in one week

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kumphort, Oct 19, 2010.

1. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Today for the second time in a week, one of my girls popped her elbow out of the socket. The first time it happened was last Monday night, and it was late in the evening of a hectic night, I didnt even realize it happened until Tuesday Morning when she wasn't using her hand, I called the doc for an appointment and by the time we got to the doc, she had popped it back into place herself.
    Today I was moving her away from a toy, and she was walking and fell, I felt it pop out. the doc showed me how to pop it back in, I know that some children are more susceptible to this, but the fact that it happened two times so soon after one another makes me think this is going to be a common occurrence with her. Blah!

2. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, it needs time to heal fully. Some kids are more prone to joint dislocations because more lax ligaments. Don't panic just yet.

3. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

This happened to my daughter once. They told me that once it happens the first time, she will be more prone to it happening again, so they told me to just try to be careful. I bet it happened again so soon because it was so recent. Hopefully it won't happen again! Good luck!

Shannon

4. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

My 2 year old has had this happen. Dr recommended us to be very careful moving her arm and that it could take up to 6 to 8 weeks to be fully healed. Just the action of putting her arms in shirts to get dressed was something the Dr mentioned to be very careful with for the first couple of weeks. Seems like the Dr said that until age 3 or 4 is when kids are most prone for the simple fact we are always holding their hand and they are so clumsy and fall or we are stupid (as in my case) and think swinging down the last 2 steps with feet in the air is fun, NOT!

5. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys, I guess we'll just have to take it day by day, I am petrified to even hold her hand now.

6. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

dd2 had that happen to her quite a few times at this age and hasn't had is since she turned 2ish... she's now almost 7! Good luck I hope your dd is the same way!