Now my friends think I am lucky

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, May 25, 2009.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Ok, for the past 16 months I have gotten the "you are so lucky to have twins" which is immediately followed by "wow, that must be a lot of work" and the next comment is something like "I am so glad it wasn't me, how do you cope!". I know they mean well, so it doesn't bother me. But many of my friends who have one child (anywhere from 1-2yrs old) are either having their second child or are pregnant with their second child...and I am secretly laughing inside at them (is this mean??), because they are all freaking out about how they are going to care for two children at once, let alone a baby and a toddler. And, I am FINALLY thinking in my head, wow, I think that I am the LUCKY one now!

I do secretly feel vindicated though, as they have seen me come to moms groups, music classes, gym classes etc and they see me struggle with two toddlers and I think they had no real idea how hard that is, so now they are super worried they are going to turn into me I think!!! Always running around after kids, never having a chance to chat with other moms, it is just constant movement and supervision of kids when I go out - but I am just glad to get out of the house!

Everyone kept telling me that at some point my kids will play nicely together and everyone else will be struggling with new babies and toddlers...I know that day hasn't quite come yet, but I can see it in the future!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Enjoy it Isis!!!

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I can understand where you're coming from. I have definitely experienced bouts along the way of singleton envy. While I don't know if it's harder to have an infant and a toddler or two toddlers, I try to find joy in my circumstances, as well as pride in doing as well as I have with my boys, given that all I've ever known is twins! :)

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I sort of agree with you here. My SIL was just talking to me about TTC - her singleton is the exact same age as my girls. I was thinking that once the new baby is born I think I'm the one who will be having an easier time. My girls play together, are on the same schedule, and both STTN. I think a newborn and a 2 year old will be a lot more work than two 2 year olds. But who knows, I could be wrong!

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I think its been pretty "easy" as easy goes... like you said! I wonder if/when we would to have another... that might be chaotic! that scares me... 2 two year olds w/a newborn? I'm with you, life with 2 right now isn't too crazy!

6. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

lol i havent been putting TONS of thought into what life will be like 30 weeks from now..but thank you for the reality check i think im gonna go commit myself to the looney bin BEFORE the baby is born :)