Not sure what's going on...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by silver_stardust, Mar 2, 2009.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

The boys just had their 4 mnth shots last Friday and ever since then Izak has not been the "same". I've ruled out any severe "reactions" to the shots because he didn't fever and doesn't have any symptoms that have me concerned. He's just different... He's really fussy, cranky and doesn't seem to want to eat. He will usually eat about 6-7oz at each bottle but is seeming to only want to eat 4-5oz over the weekend and then today. Then when he does eat he pushes his body away from you and gets straight as a board and stiff. Then starts the crying like he's in pain ...almost like he's reverting back to being colicky (he was colicky for a few weeks but then we switched his formula over to alimentum and he was fine) His face gets real red and it takes a good few minutes to settle him down. It doesn't always happen when he's eating; sometimes he just does that when you're holding him. The past few days he's had rosey red cheeks and a red nose. I don't think he's getting sick ... doesn't sound congested, not sneezing, etc. I'm not sure if he's teething ... has been drooling like crazy for the past couple weeks/month but I know that's pretty typical of this age (17 weeks tomorrow) <_<

So I'm at a loss - Any ideas?? Is this just a stage he's going thru or is there something else going on? Do you think I need to call/see the pedi?

TIA!

2. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Could be teething? The reactions you described sounds like it could be that or maybe an ear infection (could he have picked something up while at the doctor?) My 2 often get rosy cheeks when teething. Maybe for peace of mind you should call your pediatrician and see if the behavior you're seeing is normal after shots?

3. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Sounds like he could have a bit of a bug going on?? I noticed with our girls that they started getting really distracted around that age with feeding and we increased their bottle nipples to the next size and they did better with their feeds. I hope he is feeling better soon. (HUGS)

4. Obie9

Obie9 Well-Known Member

Our twins had reactions to the first group of shots they got (crankiness and sleepiness), and then we asked their ped to only give them one shot at a time. Sure, it requires many more visits, but it's worth it if you can do it.

5. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

My DS went off his food after his very first shots at 2 months. However, it could be teething or even an ear infection. My DS got a sore throat and bad ears and all he wanted to do was sleep and wouldnt eat. He was cranky and didnt want interaction with people though he ate occasionally. I would call your pedi asap to be on the safe side so s/he can give him a check up. Hope things improve asap, I know how frustrating/worrying it is.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would call the Ped and see what he or she thinks. Does he have reflux? Refusing the bottle and arching in pain are 2 of the signs of that.

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would also call the ped - it doesn't cost anything to make the call and get some reassurance.

8. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I would also call the ped. It could be the beginning of teething, constipation, ear infection, cold, anything. You will feel so much better if you get him checked out.

Jen

9. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

I would guess reflux or gas. We had a lot of problems with spitting up and gas after feeding and this is what they would do.