Not sleeping.. Any tips ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by hemmymomma, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hemmymomma

hemmymomma Active Member

I am in so much pain at night from my hips and back ( and non stop peeing ) that I am getting ZERO sleep !!! I just don't know what to so !!! I am losing my mind here ! My hips hurt soooooo bad and everytime I move I get charlie horse like pains in my uterus. UGH ! I have pillows wedged everywhere but nothing helps. What can I do ? Is there any hope for relief so I can sleep at all this last month of being pregnant ???? I am sooo looking forward to the babies being here. I'm not getting any sleep any way so I may as well be up with babies ! Maybe it is my body telling me I better get use to having no sleep !

2. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I am in the exact same boat as you, the only thing that helps me is if I take 2 reg. strength Tylenol before bed. I don't do it every night but it really helps me sleep.

3. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I'm 32 weeks as well and feeling like its been forever since I had a solid sleep. The hip/joint pain is terrible. I feel like all I do is switch from one side to the other all night. Got a million pillows wedged under me. I get a lot of braxton hicks too. The only thing that isn't too bad is the peeing, usually only once a night, so I count myself lucky :) I think this is supposed to prepare us for lack of sleep, or thats what I keep telling myself. And like the PP, a tylenol now and then if its really bad sounds like it could help.

4. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

I take Tylenol Simply Sleep, which does not cross the placenta and which my doctor said is safe during pregnancy. I would check with your doctor to see if he thinks its ok. If you're also having pain with the sleeplessness then he may let you take actual tylenol pm, which includes the pain reliever.

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My Dr prescribed Ambien for me when i was pregnant, and it worked wonders!! Definitely talk to your Dr. :hug:

6. damonsmummy

damonsmummy Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. Sometimes its from my contractions but not very often anymore. I haven't figured it out. I usually get to the point where I burn out completely and just pass out. I am 32 weeks also. I have tried everything and when I talk to my doctor about it he just tells me to take warm baths and whatnot. He is not really into prescribing me anything. He did say to take Tylenol for the pain though.

7. garden2009

garden2009 Well-Known Member

Hi! I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to let you know that I having the same problems.
    As bad as we think it is now... something tells me it will be even harder when the babies are here! My DS is 3 years old and I still remember how difficult the sleep deprivation was and that was just with one baby. I cannot even fathom what it will be like with two. It would be nice if our bodies would allow us to rest to prepare but it just doesn't seem to be working out that way for us. :) Let us know if you find anything that works!! Good luck to you!!

8. donnawilcock

donnawilcock Member

I am 30 weeks and have been having some trouble for a few weeks now. My doctor told me it was fine to take tylenol pm, which has really helped. She said she took it throughout her pregnancy so that makes me feel better and I figure a good night's rest is going to be rare soon enough :D

9. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I'm only having one but I've had a lot of hip pain since about 8 weeks and a friend (who's a physiotherapist) gave me a couple of pointers.
    1. Never sit with your legs crossed at the knee, because it stresses the hip joint.
    2. Always sit with good posture and lumbar support.

I've been trying to keep walking, I avoid half bending, and it might be getting better!

And reclining on a heating pad on the couch, then some walking around or light stretches, may help.

Good luck on sleeping.

10. Daffodils

Daffodils Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, mine is usually back pain and leg cramps though. Last night I barely got any sleep! My doc told me its ok to take Benadryl for sleep, because it tends to make you drowsy. I've been doing that, not every day, but a few times a week. I feel bad taking it (even tho its safe) but I have to do something!

11. tdhillon

tdhillon Well-Known Member

I totally understand your hip pain. I keep changing sides throughout the night(which is getting harder day by day) and I agree it is really hard to sleep with all that pain and I am just barely 28 weeks. I also get this burning feeling in the muscles of my back, next to my shoulder blades that never fail the wake me up. I have been put on bed rest at the hospital and I can concur with experience now that Tylenol and Ambien work great as mentioned in some previous posts. If you can take it one or two nights a week, then maybe you can catch up on some sleep. That is what I try to do so I don't feel too bad being a druggie! I love anything that helps me fall asleep.

Hope it gets better for you soon!

12. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I find the nights that I take warm baths before going to bed really help, it's those nights I have actually slept through the entire night, Although making it to the toliet the next morning with a full bladder and two babies pushing on it is not fun! :p

13. chadanddan

chadanddan Active Member

Sounds like we have a ton of exhausted women out there!

I am 33 weeks and have just started sleeping again (Monday was the first night). I think I just got so exhausted that my body and mind had to crash.... My doctor even prescribed me some sleeping meds that I took one night and it did not work.

When I couldn't sleep, which was usually around 4AM, I would just go into the nursery and start organizing the twins stuff. Not only do you get stuff accomplished, looking at those cute little things makes you remember that it is all worth it!

I think you just need to wait for your body to do what it needs to, although it may not feel like that right now! Hang in there and hopefully you will get a few good sleeps before your little ones arrive!

Good Luck!

14. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

I sleep with a pillow in between my legs... you said you have pillows wedged everywhere, but do you have one in between your legs to keep your legs apart? My friend told me that in the 3rd trimester, I may even need to add another pillow in the pillow case to make my legs even farther apart. I'm thinking this might be true. The one pillow has REALLY helped my hip pain - it took a few days - but it started to help. Now that I'm 28 weeks - it's starting to hurt again so I might add another pillow. Maybe try that.

A friend also suggested buying either a pillow top or a foam pad - you may need the extra cushion.

Good luck - the hip pain really stinks - and I also have to go to the bathroom at least 4 times a night.

15. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've seen tylenol, tylenol pm (or simply sleep) and benadryl (all OTC) mentioned, and my dr said all were safe. The active ingredient in benadryl is what's used in tylenol pm and simply sleep as the sleep aid. So if you just want to sleep, try simply sleep, but if you are having pain too, try tylenol pm.

I used them a couple of times a week from about 24 wks on or so, just getting a few good nights of sleep a week really made a difference! :hug: