Not quite ready to garden

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Leighann, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

For easter the girls got garden stuff from the big bunny and my parents also got them little plants and wheelbarrows. So today I attempted to plant them with the girls. Those darn plants kept getting in the way of all the fun dirt! Every time I'd show them how to make a little hole in the dirt and put the plant in it, they'd rip the plant out, throw in over their shoulder and go back to looking for worms in the dirt. :rolleyes: Oh well it was fun, but I hope those little plants survive the beating they took today. I put them in some pots once the girls fell asleep for a nap. Maybe next year they'll get the whole concept of gardening, but this year I'll focus on what is a weed so they can help with that.

2. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Thats cute. I know for sure my two wouldnt be ready for gardening either. They like to play in the dirt too much. My 4 yr old is probably the only one that would be interested in it right now. My 5 yr old actually just discovered worms, and got my 2 yr old son into them too.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At least you attempted it. I wouldn't be that brave :crazy:

4. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We had the same experience last year doing some simple strawberry plants in containers. From 18m-2.5y my boys gardening skills were best suited in the role of 'weed wacker'. They loved pulling them out and it was a little embarrassing when we would go to the park and all the other kids were climbing on the equipment and my kids were at the edge of the fence pulling weeds. :rolleyes: They really know how to have a good time.

This year they got seeds from the easter bunny: canteloupe, sunflowers, pumpkins, tomatoes, cilantro, etc. Planting them will be our Earth Day project this year. I'm expecting them to do much better, they love to water things, understand that you have to stay off seeds/growing things (a great teaching moment they absorbed when gma & gpa reseeded a section of their lawn). I will have some cut up canteloupe, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, and cilantro on hand for them to eat before we started and we got a book from the library about growing things and how a seed becomes a plant that has been their center-stage favorite for the last week.

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I agree that watering is where to start gardening with little ones. That's a great way to start learning plant names, "I think the poinsettia has enough water honey, now give some to the lime tree."

6. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

John was a great water boy! Mine will be too! So cute Leighann!

7. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Too funny!

My main excitement with the girls and gardening this year is just getting outside to do it! I figure filthy kiddos from playing in "their" corner of our garden will be well worth being able to go out there.