Not eating solids in the evening

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsBirch, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

I have no clue what to do...the past 3 days they won't eat their cereal and veg at night. They have no problems in the morning - they are gobbling up about 6 tbsps of cereal (between them) but in the evening they want nothing to do with it. I tried peas for a couple days and they hated them so I went back to sweet potato. I thought it was the cereal tonight because I pumped a couple days ago so they were getting EBM instead of water, but this evening I was out - they were gagging, shakng their heads a la Linda Blair and spitting it out. Kinda funny to watch but come on!! So I thawed some frozen BM and remade the cereal and they wouldn't touch it.

Before I started the veg they had no problems with cereal 2x a day. I try to feed them before they are hungry so they aren't fussy.

What else can I do???

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The only thing I can think of is when are they having a bottle/breastfeeding? If that is cutting too close to their solid time, that could do it. Also-could they be teething?

They may have been turned off by the fact that it was made with water?

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Have you tried a different kind of cereal? Like rice cereal versus oatmeal? How about mixing fruit with the cereal? I mix ours with pureed bananas or applesauce or some other fruit.

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestions above. I would try a diff cereal before mixing in fruit. Depending on their age you can buy cereal such as Rice, Yoguart and fruit. My guys love that one.

5. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I didn't catch their ages but I would say just start getting used to feeding being unpredictable. What they like one day they may hate the next, and vice versa. They may be teething and their gums could be more sore later in the day. This is hard to hear...it took me months, but keep offering and some meals will be successful and some not. Feeding has been our most challenging task. I have one good eater, the other very picky and unpredictable. I gave up and just offer every meal. I only say this because after 1 year especially it gets really really interesting when you see your hard work in food prep go literally on the floor via a "spit-out" or "throw down". I sometimes wonder how they gain any weight. Just mentioning it now because you may rack your brain for weeks on end to figure out this eating dilemma and unfortunately they are in total control. :) Hugs mama!

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In the early days of solids, it's mostly just for practice anyway. All of their nutrition is still from formula or bm, so if they aren't into eating at certain times of the day I wouldn't get too worked up about it! I would offer solids on a schedule that works for you and just don't stress if they're not that into it.. eventually they will be :)

7. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Thanks Ladies....why don't babies come with "Easy" buttons.

I feed them rice cereal, they hated the oatmeal. Again today they gobbled up their lunch so we'll wait and see what dinner is like.

8. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Oh my kids are the same.can't predict what they like today. Like they loved avocado rite.but I gave it to them last week, tried to puke! Used to love cereal, now hate it!!!

So I buy stage 2 food: veggies mix grains, fruit mix oatmeal. They love those for now. Oh the most favorie is sweet potato. They finished big jar stage 3 today.

So I keep rotate different kinds of food veryday and introduce new food. I have headache about feeding them solid :(

9. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Feeding has been and continues to be the hardest thing of mothering for me. I take a lot of deep breaths. :) I like your idea of an "easy" button. We can always dream. Seems like everyone around me has kids who gobble up everything in front of them. They can't relate to our struggles. :)