Not early morning breakfast eaters

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 5280babies, Aug 7, 2010.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I have been having a hard time getting the girls to want to eat breakfast. Seems we are shifting. They are up in the 6 am hour but when I feed them around 8 am they throw it on the floor. I will take them down and try again around 9-9:30ish and they are seeming to do better. Seems like a long time from wake up, although they do drink 8 oz of milk then. Anyone else have a later breakfast? Even when Zoe signs she wants to eat around 7:30/8 she won't eat when at the table, and she is my great eater.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i wish my girls would wait for breakfast! :laughing: i have to have breakfast on the table before i get them out of bed, or it's meltdown city in our house. :rolleyes:

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Yes! We are in the same exact boat! I noticed a couple of months ago that they were wanting to eat later. I used to feed them shortly after they woke (they wake about 7 and I would feed them around 8). Now it seems like they aren't hungry till about 9-10! I think it's an awful long time to go without eating as well because when I wake up I'm starving! They have much smaller stomach than we do so maybe it doesn't bother them as much and I think because they're so active right now that their little bodies forget to remind them that it's time to eat. Sorry I'm not much help, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.

4. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

We're also in the same boat. The girls act like they want breaky about an hour or so after they wake, but when I give it to them they show little to no interest. It mostly ends up in the dogs tummy! They do better from lunch onward. Weird.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids are the same way... ravenous for milk in the morning, but they can wait for a while for breakfast. Same goes with lunch after the morning nap. By the time they have breakfast, it's been about 15 hrs since their last meal!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD is like this, she usually will not eat breakfast until 9 or 9:30am. I don't know how she can wait that long :faint:

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My kids demand milk right after they wake up, but they never really "ask" for breakfast. I do offer it after awhile and they usually eat okay.

8. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

A friend of mine has twins that absolutely will not eat breakfast in the morning but will drink milk. So she gives them Carnation Instand Breakfast as per her peds recommendation.

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My 2.5 year olds have done this all summer. When they first wake up they have a Nutrigrain-type bar and a glass of milk (b/c I wanted to keep the routine the same as it is during the school year when my DH and I are both teaching and the mornings are early) and then it is usually 9:30 or 10:00 before they show much interest in any type of food again and usually it is just fruit and yogurt. Then sometimes, eating something at 10:00 affects their interest in lunch, blah blah blah. I have been feeling guilty all summer, feeling like I'm not feeding them enough! Glad to see other kids just aren't interested in breakfast. I decided I'm going to start making them a smoothie every morning before we leave for daycare, so if that is all they eat, at least they'll get a lot of the necessary nutrients, protein, etc.

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys are not big breakfast-eaters either. I am the original poster child for breakfast (I have to eat or I'm a super-crank), so we eat first thing in the morning with the boys. I always offer them what we're eating, but I know that they'll usually just eat a few bites and they're done. They have a regular snack a couple of hours after breakfast, and they normally eat a lot better then.