Not crawling at 9 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by HorseyLover, Sep 7, 2010.

1. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

My boys are 9 months - and I've never really paid too much attention to when they are "supposed" to be doing things. But, I just wanted to check because i think most babies are crawling at 9 months. Does it matter that mine aren't crawling yet? They are just starting to try - but Luke doesn't really like being on his stomach, so after trying for a bit, he just flips himself onto his back. Samuel will try for a little longer. Thoughts?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think that a lot of kids aren't crawling by 9 months yet. If they're trying and they're making progress then I think you're good! The guidelines are just that.. they don't mean the same thing for everyone :good:

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Mine just started crawling at 8 months, so that doesn't sound so bad - like the PP said, the guidelines are just guidelines. I have a niece who never crawled at all and just walked at 12 months.

4. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Lots of kids never really crawl. My books say it actually isn't a real "milestone" because some don't do it. Babies manage to shuffle their way along to create movement. My nephew did a commando style crawl on his elbows and dragged his legs, weird, but effective. So I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Mine learned to go from tummy to sitting on their bum by themsleves before they got on all 4's and crawled. My one was pulling up on furniture around the same time she starting crawling as well. This was around the 9 month mark. Every kid is different.

5. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

One of mine started crawling at around 9 months and the other didn't start until about a month later. Some never crawl at all! Don't worry about it. But if you're still concerned, bring it up at your next pedi appointment and I'm sure your doctor will put you at ease.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All babies are different. And all three of my kids started crawling within that nine month window. I seriously thought Annabella was going to start crawling around seven months. She just was doing everything to prepare for it. I thought for sure she would do it before the boys did. And-she did it after they did! Nicholas was 4 days before he turned nine months old, Anthony was 9 months and 10 days old or so, and Annabella was nine months and 20 days old.

I don't think my niece ever crawled. If you are concerned-you can easily bring it up to your pedi, if they don't ask you first.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Neither of my boys crawled at 9 months. The doctor evaluated them and said they have the ability to crawl, just probably not ready yet. Well they are turning a year in two weeks and O, does not crawl, but wants to hold hands and walk constantly. E started to crawl about two weeks ago, then two days later pulled himself up and started to cruise, yesterday he took two steps independently.
    Your babies may never crawl. Just get up and get around. I agree with pp

8. HorseyLover

Thanks everyone! I definitely feel much better. Interesting to hear how everyones LOs are so different. And, i didn't know that some babies don't crawl and just walk! Well, I'll keep you all posted!

9. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

We are in the same boat! Well, Olivia has been crawling since around 6 months and Gavin still doesn't move at all!! He doesn't roll or even like to be on his belly for that matter. He sits and he jumps in his jumperoo and thats it. He is just a lazy little man. I'm so glad to hear that everyone else has had some experience with this or that there isn't anything to really worry about! We have a docs appt on Thursday just to be on the safe side (i'm not really concerned, just feel like i'm being a good parent) but I know he is just going to take his time and i'm 110% sure that he will never crawl and just walk. So....I walk with him all the time now!

10. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

One of our 10.5 month olds just started crawling about a week ago and the other just sits there content as can be. My older son didn't crawl until he was a year old. I can't say that I don't worry about the slower twin, but I'm trying not to compare! :FIFblush:

11. mattsara09

mattsara09 Member

My girls turn 10mos on Friday. One has always done the physical stuff before the other, and she's been crawling since the end of August. The other just hasn't seemed as interested, but for the past few days is doing the same lean/push forward her sister did right before she took off. What's funny is that if neither were crawling, I wouldnt' think anything of it.

12. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

My older DS just started being able to push himself backwards at 8 months and by 9 months he was off crawling like he'd done it his whole life. :)

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Generally pedi want some sort of mobility by 12 month - crawling, combat crawling, rolling across floor to get toy, scooting in sitting, walking.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DS did not start crawling until he was 10.5 months old. I had called EI for an evaluation not so much because he wasn't crawling but that he was using his arms to propel himself and not using his legs at all. It turned out that he did not qualify for services (by the time they came out, he was crawling well).

15. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My first didn't crawl until 9 months, and even then he just comando crawled for quite a while. He didn't walk until 14 months. He's not the MOST coordinated kid now at 4 years, but he's normal (can ride a bike, throw a ball, etc).

16. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

My dd didn't crawl until about 10 months and when she started it was this odd little butt scoot thing rather than a real crawl. She started walking, though right after her first birthday, and running and jumping shortly thereafter so my worry was for nothing!

17. tdhillon

tdhillon Well-Known Member

Mine are 10 months and DS is just rolling around and has been for about a month or so. He is just starting to try to get on all four, but he usually ends up on his tummy and then starts rolling. DD is very content just sitting, doesn't roll around (will just get on her tummy and then put her head down)or try to get on all fours. Our pedi was saying the crawling isn't a milestone, but being able to pull oneself up to a standing position is and they should be able to do it by a year (since their adjusted age is a month off, 13 months max for them). We are a bit concerned about DD, but she is the bigger one and I am guessing it is just taking her a longer time because of her weight.

18. rtj

rtj Well-Known Member

My niece never crawled- went straight to walking and she's all over the place now. So, no worries. Enjoy the still ;)

19. HorseyLover

Oh, yes we do! I tell my DH all the time that I'm fearing the crawling / walking. I just can't imagine!

20. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

It definitely changes things! Our LO's are crawling and pulling up, even starting to cruise. I'm afraid they are going to be early walkers - already starting to let go every once in awhile. :shok: