Nose picking - please make it stop!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by carthur613, Apr 16, 2012.

1. carthur613

carthur613 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this topic has been discussed (well, I hope it has and I'm not the only one who's kids constantly pick their nose!). My kids are 4, almost 4 1/2 and will not keep their fingers out of their noses! My son then proceeds to put his fingers in his mouth - constantly! Everywhere we are, all day!! Even on the soccer field during a game - there he goes again!!

My daughter does it but not as much and she never puts it in her mouth. But she will NOT blow her nose. She refuses and freaks out when we try to get her to. If she has a cold or allergies she will just suck in so hard I feel like her ears are going to burst. How do you make a kid blow her nose?!

And while I'm on the subject, fingernail and toenail biting - anyone, anyone? Help!

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints!!

2. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My kids do it too. It's disgusting and makes me want to vomit but the more I tell them to stop the more they seem to do it. Sorry I'm no help just wanted you to know you're not alone.

My favorite time when DS picked his nose then stuck it in his mouth...Sunday at church...second row...packed pews.

3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Cameron will pick and eat. He refuses to blow his nose, but he'll let us squeeze it if he's got a cold.

Kiefer will rarely pick it, but he won't eat it either. He'll wipe it on a tissue at least. He will blow his nose in a tissue, but not hard. At least he blows his nose in a tissue if we ask. It's a good start. On a rare occasion, he'll actually blow his own nose in a tissue he is holding himself. I wish Cameron would try it. We always encourage Kiefer to do it, and he seems very proud of himself when he does.

I don't know how to stop the picking. Generally it's a phase and you can't make a big deal out of it or it'll just continue on longer. Cameron will also bite his nails constantly. I haven't had to cut his nails for many months now. They are so thin and flexible. He has hurt himself doing it too, but he still bites them down.