No more selling and buying used baby items

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Fran27, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

2. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Wow ... that's completely ridiculous. So much for my estimate of what our first year (and beyond!) is going to cost us! If I'd known about this earlier, that also would have affected some of my buying choices; can't believe I won't be able to resell things like my DSNG. (Though the idea of swap meets is appealing if that works out ... and I can't imagine hand-me-downs becoming illegal ...)

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

:huh: Wow.

4. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

As a work at home mom who makes cloth diapers, I've done a lot of research on this new law, and it's very confusing. There is also a lot of hysteria on the web over this right now, and it's just muddying the waters, not helping clarify things at all. Congress is still ironing out the details, but I don't believe at this point, that resale is going to be affected--the law states that items manufactured prior to Feb. 10th do not require the testing, however it is illegal for stores to stockpile (as in buy more than they normally would) to circumvent the law.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Jan 4 2009, 11:07 AM) [snapback]1132296[/snapback]
    As a work at home mom who makes cloth diapers, I've done a lot of research on this new law, and it's very confusing. There is also a lot of hysteria on the web over this right now, and it's just muddying the waters, not helping clarify things at all. Congress is still ironing out the details, but I don't believe at this point, that resale is going to be affected--the law states that items manufactured prior to Feb. 10th do not require the testing, however it is illegal for stores to stockpile (as in buy more than they normally would) to circumvent the law.

That would be really nice if it was the case. Thanks for posting!

6. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous and I know they'll never be able to make it stick.

7. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

Yes I have heard of this, it will be putting a friend of mine who makes reusable diapers from organic materials out of business. :angry: It's unfortunate that this knee jerk legislation passed that is ultimately rewarding the big corporate producers of children's products, who thought it ok to include hazardous materials in the first place, as these are the only people who can afford to do the testing! I would like to give the lawmakers the benefit of the doubt that their intention was to make children's products safer, but it does seem a bit like more corporate welfare at the expense of small business. It is very sad that people who were electively conscious about using safe materials for children's products will be run out of business and consumers will instead have little choice but to support those whose business model was greediness with no thought for the safety of our children. Additionally, many of the small businesses (like that of my friend) that will be going under are American owned and operated, unlike the large corporations whose products are coming from China, Mexico, etc. This law will not only undermine American business owners producing new products, but also efforts to aid in the healing of our environment by reusing and recycling. As we all know children grow quickly and have often outgrown things like clothes and toys before they even begin to show wear. It is unthinkable that we should be filling our landfills when there are those among us who either by choice or necessity would be very happy with/grateful for slightly used, perfectly good hand-me-downs. This law needs some major restructuring. For instance, limiting the need for testing to those products that pose potential risks such as plastic or painted toys (I don't think we should all be rushing out to replace 100% cotton onesies). Also, during the transition phase how about some government subsidization for the cost of testing (maybe part of that billion dollar bailout allotted for companies in trouble because of greedy and dishonest business practices rather than ill thought out legislation)?

Sorry so long, but this makes me mad, mad, mad. Also, I am on bedrest and too uncomforable to sleep! :rotflmbo:

8. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Wow! That is crazy! It will be interesting to see what happens of it.

9. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

With the economy whhat it is, this is bogus. I can understand the need for consumer safety, but truly, where is our freedom going?

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Personally, I wonder if it's a way to get people into stores buying everything new, therefore stimulating the economy :angry: .

11. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

What am I supposed to be looking at? All I see is an annoying website with coupons and crap.

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jan 4 2009, 01:55 PM) [snapback]1132483[/snapback]
    What am I supposed to be looking at? All I see is an annoying website with coupons and crap.

They updated it after I posted.

http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/2009/01...lling-your.html

That's the direct URL

On a side note, that website is awesome, definitely not annoying :p

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is the first time I have heard of this and I can't help but wonder if this law is designed to help the big children's manufacturers. We've bought many things for the little ones second hand. I was hoping to sell some stuff that's in great condition <_<

14. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

15. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I really hope this does not happen. Everything I bought for the new baby was used. I didnt feel the need to go out and buy everything new this time around. I mean I got a beautiful 600.00 crib for $50.00 bucks. That would not have happened if this "law" was in place a few months ago.

I agree this would be a bogus law!!!!!

16. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Holy Cow, I can not believe this. How can they enforce this? Are they really going to go to every yardsale and make sure people aren't selling baby items? That's ridiculous. The US doesn't have the manpower nor the MONEY to enforce this. We're in a freakin recession and the gov't really is going to try to impose this? Give me a break!

Humm, I'm a policeman, I have a decision to make--cite poor Susie for selling baby items or catch a thief--wow, hard decision there!

17. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

I will be surprised if this is really true. Especially since all items are tested before they are sold. Plus, SO many stores in my area will go out of business if this happens.

How can afford to buy things for your children brand new?

Jenn

18. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Jan 4 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1132750[/snapback]
    Especially since all items are tested before they are sold.

I'm not sure how great the testings is on some items before they are sold is. Considering all the recalls we have for lead these days. I think they gov't needs to worry about finding a fool proof way to test for lead before something even makes it to the market and needs a recall. And do a better job of stopping the things coming into this country that our children put in their mouths and play with that have lead in them aswell. Just a thought ;)

19. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

The more I think about this, the more I wonder about the validity and the actual context of the bill. I really think that if this was going to be enacted the way some are interpreting it, it would be ALL over the news. There are many families that can't afford to buy brand new baby items/clothes, and it would affect them dramatically, especially in this economy. Just think about how much hype there has been about the TV thing going into effect in February.

20. LisaLonnie

LisaLonnie Well-Known Member

This is total garbage! We look forward to our local Moms of Multiples tag sale every spring/fall and I'm wondering if this will be impacted. I emailed the tag sale chair to inquire.

We are HUGE shoppers of craigslist too and picked up many, many baby items for short money. I just got laid off while on FMLA leave so money is going to be tight.

Thanks for bringing this to our attn.

21. ladybenz

First of all, please don't panic!!!

If you are concerned, and many parents are for MANY reasons, please write to your congressperson. It only takes a few moments, and right now, congress needs to hear how this affects regular people--because they wrote a law so darned confusing, their constituents are explaining it to THEM!

Second of all, this law is very poorly written and so confusing, they have pushed back the dates several times because they have neither the manpower nor the brainpower to enforce it as written. I believe they will continue to clarify it further before all hell breaks loose in August.

Third, no one is going to come arrest you at your MOM sale. The agency has fewer than 50 employees, they aren't going to be paying any of them to travel around to MOM sales and "enforce." Nor are they going to disband Ebay and craigslist.

Lastly, while the law seems pretty confusing, if you aren't a store selling toys, it is not aimed at you.

22. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

oh the government....a bunch of money hungry a's.. =(

this is a huge load of crap!

23. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read through the law and it seems to say that anything manufactured after the phase in date has to be tested and certified. It does not say anything sold after that date
    Here is the quote. I found it here
    . The statute requires the CPSC to issue laboratory accreditation regimes for different categories of children’s products. Once the CPSC issues the laboratory accreditation requirement for that category of children’s products, each children’s product in that category that is manufactured more than ninety days after that date must be tested and certified to the applicable requirements.

24. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ljcrochet @ Jan 4 2009, 11:19 PM) [snapback]1133201[/snapback]
    I just read through the law and it seems to say that anything manufactured after the phase in date has to be tested and certified. It does not say anything sold after that date
    Here is the quote. I found it here

OK, that makes a LOT more sense if it's about testing things before they get sold in the first place rather than outlawing the sale of all used items. Cos that would just be crazy! (And, as someone else pointed out, ridiculously wasteful in terms of environmental impact.)

25. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

Yup.. All the WAHMs who make baby clothes and things are being shut down. Its all rediculous. Im a little pissed.

26. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Emily@Home @ Jan 4 2009, 11:45 AM) [snapback]1132409[/snapback]
    With the economy whhat it is, this is bogus. I can understand the need for consumer safety, but truly, where is our freedom going?

i would hope my freedom also included my right to know that my child won't be ingesting lead and melamine other toxins. i don't consider "freedom" to be something that absolutely excludes the responsibility of manufacturers to ensure that our kids are safe. i don't know about you, but i don't have a testing lab down in my basement, so unless manufacturers voluntarily do the right thing (which obviously they aren't willing to do when it affects their bottom line) the only choice is to create a structure of regulation ensuring that we as consumers can protect ourselves and our families from dangerous products.

it is unfortunate that it will affect small businesses who can't afford to abide by the new regulations, at least in the initial form. but i think it's overly cynical to call this corporate welfare or to suspect a grand conspiracy to make us mommies singlehandedly boost the american economy.

i want to know a few things when i go to the store:

1) the baby products i buy are actually safe for babies
    2) my dog won't be poisoned by his dog food
    3) the next spinach salad i eat won't kill me

maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

27. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Jan 4 2009, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1132808[/snapback]
    Third, no one is going to come arrest you at your MOM sale. The agency has fewer than 50 employees, they aren't going to be paying any of them to travel around to MOM sales and "enforce." Nor are they going to disband Ebay and craigslist.

Lastly, while the law seems pretty confusing, if you aren't a store selling toys, it is not aimed at you.

It may not be aimed at us, but according to many sources, it will affect us nonetheless, if it goes through as written. And while I agree that they're unlikely to crack down on the MOM sales anytime soon, I'm not sure the same is true for Ebay and craigslist. While most of the people selling on those sites are individuals, the sites themselves are large entities that could be forced to apply some kind of across-the-board rule, or risk being penalized.

I have no problem with the law applying to new products, and I agree that most manufacturers won't voluntarily do the right thing. I'm all in favor of government regulation. And of course I don't want my children ingesting melamine or toxins. But what's bogus is for the law to apply to things like clothes. I don't think it's a conspiracy -- I think it's a massive, stupid oversight that is going to have very dramatic and unfortunate consequences unless it gets corrected.

So write to your senators and representatives! I'm doing that right now. ;)

28. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

From what I have read this law will only apply to professionals not individuals.

Jen

29. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

I was in one of our second hand stores today and got to talk with the owner of the store. She has heard of this occuring, but things are so up in the air that she does not know when this will take effect. She does know that this is mainly regarding toys and gear. Not clothes or stuffed animals, things of soft nature.

I hope this helps,
    Jenn

30. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

thats insane!!! 95% of the stuff i own/buy is used! i cant afford new stuff, and its nice to sell it when im done too

31. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Here is the email I got from our local consignment store (I assume it's OK to post it, since she specifically asked people to pass it on -- I deleted her name and the name of the store):

At issue is a new law which goes into effect February 10, 2009. You may have heard about it, but most people have not. It is titled CPSIA, which stands for Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. Basically, what the act says, is that ALL, and yes, I mean ALL, products designed to be used by and for children under the age of 12 must be tested for lead levels. This means clothing, bedding, cribs, toys, highchairs, bibs, booties, hats, shoes, etc. ANY item that is made for a child must be tested. Now in essence, this is great. I am very happy that Congress and the Consumer Product Safety Commission is being proactive on the health and safety of our children. Unfortunately, the way the law is written, thousands of businesses will be forced to shut down.

Who will be affected by the CSPIA??? Large retailers, small companies that make wood toys, the local moms who make cloth diapers to sell, resale and consignment stores such as Childish Things, seasonal consignment sales such as Just Between Friends, Mothers of Twins Club sales, and many, many other businesses. There will be no more selling of children's items on Ebay, or Craigslist. It will be illegal to make an item and sell it at a church bazaar, unless the item is tested first. The cost of such testing is prohibitive to those people who do not mass produce items. The cost of the testing will be passed on to the consumer somewhere, so this in turn will drive prices up, even when our economy is such a sad state right now.

At first, I thought to myself, this is ridiculous. They can't just shut down all these businesses, especially with the economy the way it is. But, after reading through the entire law and multiple BLOG sites, I realized, yes, they can. Again, I support the idea of testing, but to test every item, even those which are inherently lead free, is crazy. There is a possibility that natural organic products will be exempted, but, if the fabric is dyed in any way, the item will have to go through testing.

The current ruling makes this new lead requirement retroactive. This means that a product that was produced several months ago, and which is safe and legally compliant today, will not be able to be sold on February 10. It means we are being held responsible for a standard that didn't even exist when those goods were made. This requirement will make second-hand items unavailable for a very long time because the requirement will continue to change 2 more times until the lead levels drop to 100 ppm by August 11, 2011.

This is what YOU can do:

Please call or write to our 2 senators and the representative of where you live. Let them know that you are calling and/or writing about the CPSIA Law. Tell them that in theory this new law is a good idea, but that they did not take into consideration the consequences it will have on all of us in these already financially trying times. Tell them whether you are a shopper or a consignor. Tell them how this law will affect you personally if you could no longer buy used items. Be passionate and persistent. Tell them that this law MUST BE AMENDED by NOT making the new lead requirement retroactive, and also that the CPSIA simply forgot to exclude the class of toys and other handmade items that have earned and kept the public's trust. The result, unless the law is modified, is that handmade toys, clothes, and other children's items will no longer be legal in the US.

If you would like more information on the act, I have included links at the bottom of this page for some sites which will give you a lot of information. Thank you again so very much for reading this email, and thank you too for your support of small businesses around the country.

Here is the contact information for our senators and representatives. Again, please call or write your representative, and our senators. Please pass this email along to your friends. Some of these officials will be changing office once the new President is sworn in, but writing to them now will insure that our voices are heard.

Senator Mark Udall
    8601 Turnpike Drive #206
    Westminster, CO 80031
    (303) 650-7820

Senator Ken Salazar
    2300 15th Street, Suite 450
    Denver, CO 80202
    (303) 455-7600

Representative Jared Polis
    PO Box 4659
    Boulder, CO 80306
    (303) 865-3950

Representative Diana DeGette
    600 Grant Street, Suite 202
    Denver, CO 80203
    (303) 844-4988

Representative Doug Lamborn
    3730 Sinton Road, Suite 150
    Colorado Springs, CO 80907
    (719) 520-0055

RepresentativeBetsy Markey
    P.O. Box 1333
    Fort Collins, CO 80524
    (970) 221-1473

Representative Ed Perlmutter
    12600 West Colfax Avenue, Suite B-400
    Lakewood, CO 80215
    (303) 274-7944

Representative Mike Coffman
    9135 Ridgeline Blvd.
    Suite 170
    Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
    (303) 791-6435

Representative John Salazar
    225 North 5th Street, STE 702
    Grand Junction, CO 81501
    (970) 245-7107

Tom Tancredo
    6099 South Quebec St., Suite 200
    Centennial, Colorado 80111-4547
    (720) 283.9772

Marilyn Musgrave
    3553 Clydesdale Parkway
    Suite 110
    Loveland, CO 80538
    (970) 663-3536

Links:

http://www.thesmartmama.com/bg/index.php?o...9&Itemid=23

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thri...0,2083247.story

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

http://cpsia-central.ning.com/forum/topics...36669Comment966

http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/2009/01...ment-shops.html

http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

32. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

A lot of the press is one-sided and isn't covering the issue objectively. I don't want to get into a big debate, but I am happy to see this come into effect and have waited a long time for Congress to do something about this issue of manufacturers making products with too many toxins. These companies have been raking in the $$ while poisoning our children.

It's not just about lead, it's about phthalates, too, which are in some clothing, toys, and soft products and are banned in California now and many European countries. I think it's a great first step toward making our children safer. Sure, it has some repercussions now, but we need to suffer a little to save a lot.

33. ladybenz

For the record, it does NOT apply to ALL products intended for children under 12, this is one of the hysterical rantings that is going on all over the internet, and it's misinformation, and it's wrong to continue spreading it. It only applies to products that are under the purview of the commission, and it only applies to so-called "durable goods." Clothing, diapers, etc are not durable goods, are not covered by this law, and to say otherwise is continuing to add into the hysteria.

Used items being resold are NOT covered by the law.

34. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jewels707 @ Jan 4 2009, 08:17 AM) [snapback]1132371[/snapback]
    Sorry so long, but this makes me mad, mad, mad. Also, I am on bedrest and too uncomforable to sleep! :rotflmbo:

I hope you are feeling better adn get some sleep soon.

I've not heard about it. Iwill need to look into it more. It's good to see that resale is not included in this. Thanks Ladybenz for the clarification.

35. Tracy O

Tracy O Well-Known Member

The agency wouldn't have to the State's Attorney could enforce it as such that the local police would. And our MOM group wouldn't want to get sued for selling things that might have lead in them so we wouldn't have it :( T