nipples and jucies from a bottle

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Gimena, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

Do you use a different, slower nipple when you give juice from a bottle?

Do you offer juice after their solids? It just seem, logically to me, that after eating cereals and veggies they would be thirsty...

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I actually never gave juice from a bottle, my ped said it was unnecessary and just empty calories. He suggested a little water as another option. If you do though, I think I would either use a slow flow nipple or the alternative would be offering out of a sippy cup which would be great practice! Offering it out of a sippy at mealtimes is a great idea.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never gave juice out of a bottle either. We used the sippy cup with mainly water and a splash of juice. I would agree with Becky that if you are going to use the bottle to use the slow flow nipple and have something to drink handy for mealtimes is a good idea.

4. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

when I first started them on juice in a bottle I did use a smaller nipple size I actually used DR Brown #1 and my babies were using #3 for formula

5. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

I give them a sippy with water during their solid feedings in the afternoon. I take a few breaks for them to each drink water, and they seem to really enjoy it. I'm not planning on giving them juice - I would rather they actually eat some fruit, and I'm sure they get plenty of sugar from that. I also want them to get used to drinking plain water. The did get watered down juice in a bottle before they were on solids for constipation (and we used the same nipples for that, but it was only a tiny bit).

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Giving juice in a bottle is not good for their teeth, most bottles and juices (well the ones marketed for children) specifically warn against doing it. I think it would be ok as a one-off sort of thing but not for every day.
    I do water or very diluted juice out of a sippy after solid meals, it is logical to me that they would want a drink then too. She doesn't drink much at the moment (the twins didn't to start off with either) but I think that it's a good habit to get in. Also that way they have time to practice with the sippies before you stop using bottles.

7. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest a sippy cup. We've started using them and the boys love it!! We are using the Munchkin trainer cups because the spouts are silicone and very much like bottle nipples so it's turning out to be a somewhat easy transition.

I haven't decreased their bottles. We do all the same bottle feedings and solids feedings, and after that I put either water, diluted juice, or formula into the sippy cups and let them have at it for about 1/2 hour. I've only done diluted juice once, actually, and they weren't that keen. Mostly we either do water or formula, and only a couple of ounces at a time.

It's worth a shot and your babies might really take to it. :)

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys have only had juice once and it was out of a sippy. My dr. also said it is just better to give them fruit. My boys got formula after every meal to make sure they were full. We also started water in sippies around 9 months.

9. MuchFaith22

MuchFaith22 Well-Known Member

I don't understand....I always thought it wasn't best to give juice to babies, but couldn't remember why....but at WIC they have started giving the babies juice and say that they should each have 1/2 a bottle of it a day. I gave some today, but I watered it down with just as much water, and I don't think I'll give it every day....

But as for giving it, I gave it in their sippies. I started sippies at 6 months, and they are now starting to want to drink from them and grab them and pull them to their mouth, but haven't got that you have to tip it up (they don't hold their bottles yet).