Nipple question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sharerc, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

For a long time now (a month at least) I've had some white stuff on my nipples randomly. TMI but it kind of will peel off when I peel it with my finger. Is this yeast? If so, how do I treat it? I am an exclusive pumper.

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Are your nipples sore? Do you get shooting pains in your breasts when you pump? When I had thrush (and I had it alot!) I had bright red nipples and horrible shooting pains in my breasts. I would make sure you boil your pump parts to clean them really well and wash all of your bras/shirts in really hot water with vinegar. Gentian Violet was the only thing that finally got rid of it for me though. You can get it OTC at the pharmacy.

3. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

Could it be milk? Do you have any other symtoms as PP asked? I had such pain the first 2 months I asked their ped to do a culture for yeast in their mouth. It came back negative. If you are having no pain I would not worry about it, but maybe ask your or their dr. next time you go.

4. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

it could be a milk blister that keeps coming back. i know i get them a lot.
    good luck.

5. sharerc

I do have pain when I pump but I've had it pretty much the whole time. Sometimes it's worse than others. Sometimes it's just when I start pumping. Right now they hurt pretty bad (I'm pumping). They are more sore in the area where they rub against the pump though. I might make an appointment this week to have it checked out.

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I would definitly get checked out, if you could not be in pain that would be great!

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

You know, the first thing I thought of was is it just skin peeling? Mine have been doing that right now.. just a tiny bit here and there. :hug99: It's hard not knowing what is going on. If it is painful at all, I'd go in and get it checked out.

8. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Jul 21 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]887005[/snapback]
    You know, the first thing I thought of was is it just skin peeling? Mine have been doing that right now.. just a tiny bit here and there. :hug99: It's hard not knowing what is going on. If it is painful at all, I'd go in and get it checked out.

I was thinking the same thing b/c I get that sometimes too. But definitely see the dr if it involves any pain!

9. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

It also sounds like your shields may be too small, and maybe that's causing some skin trauma so they're peeling. Can you have a lactation consultant check you out while you pump? Of course, it could be all of the above...don't you love a good mystery?

10. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

If they're rubbing that much your shields could definitely be too small! I would ask your LC about sizing up!

11. sharerc

I have 2 different sized shiels. The ones with the pump were too small, I believe 24mm. I am using the 27mm and also have the 30mm. But when I used the 30s I don't seem to get as much milk. It's weird. But I'm pumping right now and they don't hurt at all. Of course I haven't pumped since 9:00 last night!