night lights and other items in toddler rooms

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinnerbee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Both of my kids have started talking about not wanting to be in the dark. I got them each a chargeable night light (a car and a bear) that you charge and they take to bed, but it really just glows - it doesn't give off much light and the bear honestly scared DD! I had to put a gate up in the hallway and leave her door open a crack for the hall light. I want to get one of the kinds with the small bulb that just plugs right into the wall without a cord, but I'm a little nervous about them pulling it out and messing with the outlet or bulb while we're asleep. How old were your kids when you started using one like that?

We also would love to give them each a night stand at some point. Right now their lamps are high up on top of tall dressers so they can't reach them. Really, all that;'s in their rooms are the toddler beds, a dresses each, some books on a shelf, some stuffed animals and a few toys. I used to let them have their PBK anywhere chairs, but they started using them as tunnels or jungle gyms so we moved them out a while ago. What's in your toddler's room?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Our boys are still in their cribs, so I haven't had to "toddler-proof" their room yet. We have a Twilight Turtle that projects stars up to the ceiling and the room is lit up a bit from that and then we also have a blue tone plug-in nightlight. They like the extra light -and since they are still in their cribs, I don't have to worry about them messing with it for now.

They have their cribs, a big soft glider, a dresser, a small table,bins under their beds with their sheets, blankets, pillowcases, etc. and waaay too many bins of books.

3. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

my son has his bed, a tall chest of drawers (which the lamp, a small space heater and humidifier is on top of), his train table and a couple bins of books and toys. We used to have a rocking chair in there, but it was too cramped so I took it out.

My daughter has her bed, dresser, bookshelves with books and toys, her dolls and stuffed animals. Their closets just have clothes and totes with clothes, but they've never tried opening them.

I do have those plug in night lights you mentioned. We've used them since they were babies. They did occasionally try to play with them when they were younger, not actually pull it out of the wall, just played with the plastic cover on it. By the time they were in toddler beds, they were over them and it never really occurred to them to play with them.

We do have our share of night wakings, but I've been lucky in that my kids are pretty mellow and don't get into much trouble. If they're awake they read some books or whine that they don't want to be in there. But they don't make a mess and get into drawers and stuff.

4. twinnerbee

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just found this when I was looking for safe toddler night lights. Maybe this would be good...on a night stand if I dare? What do you think? Anyone have a night light clock or anything else plugged in that they can reach? When do you stop worrying about cords?

5. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

Oh boy, we have so many things in their room. Their room is quite big.
    My twins are still in cribs.Thankfully they do not climb out at night or before falling asleep yet.
    I have glider in between their cribs, it's soft so I told them if any reason they need to climb out use that.They are good using the glider climb into their cribs or after nap climbing out.
    I have day bed with like 200 pillows-we read books on this bed and sometimes I take nap with them.
    3 bookcases with 100 books and many toys.
    Dresser,mirror,TV on the wall, air purifier, humidifier, round kids table and 3 chairs and floor bear/recliner.
    I think that's it.

Added after your second post:
    My two sleep in dark so far they did not complain.Never worried about cords as my DH tought them how to plug in vacuum in the outlet.
    That light seems bright is it?

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids have had a nightlight in their room for awhile. DD just turns hers on and off every day. DS sometimes gets up and turns his on/off a couple of times (when he is putting off going to sleep), but no real issues with them. Their nightlights have switches on the front of them, so we don't have to unplug them.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

That's very cute! We use the kind that is chargeable and you can take off the stand (this one and one that looks like a dinosaur). They glow but some colors give light too. Right now we have the charger in their room but I'm guessing when we move to twin beds we'll have to remove it, and the monitor, so they don't get strangled in the cords or something... I don't think there is any place to put them out of reach at all, but they don't have to be plugged in to work, we'll just have to recharge them every morning... kinda a PITA but if it was one that is plugged in the wall they would just unplug it right away. They don't really unplug things anymore in their room when they play in there but it still happens.

There's only two cribs, a dresser, bins and toys in their room. But once we switch out of cribs I'm guessing we'll have to remove pretty much everything.

8. twinnerbee

Wow...I have to laugh as I remember all the stuff we had in their rooms before the switch to toddler beds. Picture frames on the dresser, big wooden growth chart on the wall, a rocking recliner chair, tons of toys. I guess I should've asked for people with toddlers in toddler beds, lol!! Once we made that switch EVERYTHING left the room and we've been reintroducing things little by little. I just don't know if they'd be so happy to have the clock/night light that they'd leave it alone or if I'd come in to find one of them standing on the night stand wrapped up in the cord.

9. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

They have their beds and a nightstand with a picture of their Dad...that's it. I don't even have anything in the drawers of the nightstand.

When we moved to toddler beds, I gave them these and they LOVE them.

They get them only at night when they are in their beds. You can push the button once and it will go off after 15 minutes or you can change the color and those stay on until you shut them off. I set it for the timer and they are usually asleep by the time it goes off.

It was a huge help getting my one son to stay in his bed. If he got out once, I would warn that I would take his glowmate away if he got out again. After a week of taking it away, he now stays in bed. :good:

10. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I've tried to turn off their ceiling fan light. I usually have it on very dim, which is enough for them, but I have tried to turn it off and they don't like it. I do have the twilight turtle and they love it...with the ceiling light on dim...in both their rooms. I do have lamps on their tall dressers, but the lights in them are too bright and right in their faces. I have the dimmest bulbs the lamps would take...still too bright. They are a little weary about the dark, but one day, we will try again to turn off the lights.

11. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

They each have the following in their rooms: bed, bookcase, toy box, dresser, table lamp, and night light. Our DS has a tool/workbench station and our DD has a barbie house. They have the PBK night lights and have had them since they were about 1 1/2 year old. They were curious at first as to what they were, but we told them that they are hot and they are not to touch them. Pulling them or anything else out of the electrical socket has never been an issue for us (knock on wood). ;) The ones that we have our automatic so they turn on when the room gets dark. It doesn't give off too much light. Our DD's is plugged into her wall near the floor and our DS's is plugged into a power strip that sits on his dresser.Being in the dark was never a concern for them, but we decided to put the night lights in their room so that they could go to the bathroom by themselves in the middle of the night.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Both of my kids have their beds and dressers in their room. DD's room has 8 shelves (came that way when we bought the house) and DS's room has two shelves that DH installed. DD's room still has the rocking chair in it. DS's room has a wooden bench. For nightlights, they both use a Pedia Vapor night light and their Tot clocks (which are on shelves and out of their reach). Before bed and nap and after bed and nap, they can change the setting from nap/bedtime to awake time. They also have small fans on their shelves.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I suggest chuchis amazon sells them and my girls love them. They are a crops between night light and stuffed animal

14. JennyR

JennyR Well-Known Member

Our neighbor has one of those Ikea wall lamps mounted behind his son's bed (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10194446). You can purchase a separate kit to tack the cord to the wall. This way, his son can turn the light on and off, but has no access to the outlet which is hidden behind the bed. It is brighter than a typical night light, however.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  15. twinnerbee

Ooooh, thanks! That's awesome! I think I need to go to Ikea and check in out in person, but that might be perfect. They also have smaller ones that I like - a flower and a moon. I already ordered clocks that glow, but this would be nice for them to have control over (I think...).

16. dhamann

dhamann New Member

This has worked great for our 3 and 1/2 year old daughters. We got these several weeks ago because they were starting to get out of their beds and turn the closet light on. No more closet lights on and it uses hardly any juice, cooler (temp wise) than some other outlet - night lights. They turn on in the dark automatically. One daughter has the fish and the other the princess one; they picked them out at our local bed, bath, and beyond store. They were approximately 9 bucks each before a 20% coupon. good luck

LED Fish night light

17. twinnerbee

I got the Teach Me Time clocks that have a nice night light feature - DS loves his...DD told me that clock was a little scary and she wanted it out of her room :unknw: so I took it out. My only solution for her so far is a gate in the hallway to keep her out of her brother's room and leaving her door cracked with he hall light on until she falls asleep. I haven't made it to Ikea yet, though, so I'm hoping the little flower light they have there will be less scary than the clock!!

18. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My kids have the twilight constellation night lights See here
    DD has the ladybug and DS has the sea turtle. They got them for Christmas and they LOVE them. They are soft and plush (except the shell) and run on batteries. They automatically shut off after 45 minutes or so. My kids usually sleep right next to them!

They also have the kind of nightlight you plug into an outlet and it automatically comes on when the room gets to a certain darkness but goes off if it gets bright. Theres no cord, no bulb etc.