new bedtime issues

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Jun 1, 2011.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LOs always went to bed around 630, 700 without much of a fight. they wake up at 6 during the week.
    lately, i cant get them to sit on the couch and sit still. we always did bottles of milk; they have seemed to drop them in the week since they turned 2. i give them sippies of water and that seems to work.
    i bathe them (every other night) then we all plop on the couch and we read books and off to bed.

this is the first week i haven't put them in their infant seats when i am alone with them. i cant get one of them to stay on the couch with me and my other LO. we read books, try and do a 'calming' atmosphere but then i lay him down and its SCREAMS and SCREAMS....i lay with him in his crib (lol) and i love it. he calms right down then i snuggle with the other one.

not sure if anyone had similar experience at 2. they slam their cups in their cribs and im having an issue with my routine and will do anything to get my sleepers back. am i putting them down too early?
    they nap from 12 - 2 everyday...sometimes even till 230, 300.

2. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

You might need to move their bedtime back, especially if they nap late or take a long nap that day. As my kids have gotten older, their bedtime has gotten later. Also, with it being light outside later, they may not want to go to bed as early. Do you have blackout shades in their room? My kids are almost 2.5. They wake up around 6:45, nap from 1ish-3ish, and go to bed between 7:30-7:45.

3. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Oh once we hit two it was utter chaos. We are somewhat achieving a schedule of 6:30 am wakeup, a 2 hour nap about 1:00 pm, but an 8:00 pm bedtime. We were 6:30 sleepers clear through! They just don't want to stop ever. For us though, if we stay in the room to snuggle it makes things far worse. We basically had to get really strict on our routine...which was dragging on to 60-90 minutes because they would beg for kisses, more songs, more books, etc. I did some reading and I guess sleep can go down the drain at this age - schedule was emphasized in everything I read. So now we play downstairs. Tone down the action when we get upstairs, bathe, read a couple books, and sing a song or two and leave. Some nights they go to sleep. Sometimes they scream for us. But we do it in 30 mins and we say we are not coming back. Otherwise, we would be up there all night long. Good luck - it has been frustrating and exhausting.

4. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

We had very similar issues at that age. We ended up pushing their bedtime back about 1/2 hour and eventually that stopped working and we had to cut their nap down to make bedtime easier.

Sleep issues during the 2nd year were one of our biggest challenges. We were constantly adjusting things and moving them from cribs to toddler beds to eventually twin beds and now we are pretty much settled in a good routine with no naps and consistent 7pm bedtime.

5. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

agree with the others -- push it back a half hour, that will help for sure!

6. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

Hi -
    I agree. I have pushed my kids to 7:30 and they will chat and play in their cribs for at least 30 minutes after that. Even when they are shouting for us or crying when we leave the room we are firm and say and clear Good night and then leave and don't go back once our bedtime routine is done and we have tucked them in.

Good luck!

7. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

so should i push it to 7 or 730....
    we are currently waking at 6 but that changes once school ends.