New appreciation for how lucky I am

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by slugrad1998, Sep 16, 2010.

1. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I just found out that a girl I knew from high school who was pregnant (first pregnancy) with twins lost her babies last week. She went in for a routine US at 17 weeks and they couldn't find the heartbeats. The poor thing had to go through labor and delivery just to say goodbye to two little boys that she never got to meet. This hit me like a ton of bricks and just made me realize how lucky we all are to have healthy happy babies. Even those of us who have had bumps in the road, medical problems, feeding problems, developmental problems....those are minuscule in comparison to having your babies be born too early to even have a chance.

I have decided that from now on, whenever I get annoyed with the whining or stressed about something I will just hug them and realize how thankful I am that they are in my life!

2 people like this.
  2. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

Oh that is so sad. It is a very good reminder as you said of the blessings I have in my life.

shannon

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It is very sad. And this hits too close to home. My brother and his wife were expecting twins(my boys were 9 months old when they announced it). She lost them both-Max and Travis, at 23 weeks. It was a rollercoaster ride of one having a serious heart defect and not making it through the pregnancy. Then to go back to another u/s to find out that he might have a chance, to only go into labor(we really don't know the full story-I was in Italy at the time it all happened) a week after the 2nd u/s saying all was well. I dealt with a lot of silent guilt as to why I had my little boys and she didn't. Our boys would have been a year apart. And then I got pregnant that October, and her children wanted to know why I got to have another baby and they didn't. It's heartbreaking, it really is. And I can't even fathom being in that position.

4. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

So, so heartbreaking; there are no words. :cry: You're absolutely right, even the most difficult of days cannot compare. Thank you for the reminder to keep things in perspective.

5. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that :( We are all truly blessed and I try not to forget that too ♥ Meg, that must have been so hard to deal w for all of you :grouphug:

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm very sorry to hear that about your friend as well :hug and :cry: I know I could use a good remainder of how lucky I am on the most difficult days. Thank you for reminding us.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine lost twin boys at 20 weeks, 6 years before my boys were born. I had a really hard time telling her that I was expecting twin boys, but she was so sweet and excited for me even though I know how it hurt. She since had two more beautiful children, but every time I talk to her or think about her, I feel like hugging my boys extra tight and being thankful that they're with me.

I'm so sorry for your friend; I hope she has a lot of loving support right now.

8. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

This is heartbreaking, there are no words, i couldn't even imagine.
    Beautiful post, I am so sorry for your friend and her family.

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:( :( I had 2 miscarriages before we had the twins.....and it totally changed my appreciation for my children. I love my older kids to pieces, but since losing my babies I've learned to appreciate the little things more, just as you say. Even on the bad days, you will very very rarely catch me saying anything bad about my kids, because I just can't help but think what life would be like without them here.

10. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about so much loss for everybody. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful even when it is hard.

11. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

There are no words for a loss such as your friends.... Hold tight to the memories you and your little ones create because life is too precious and often enough, so short. Thank you for the reminder!