Neverending Virus/Fever?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bbyboo1323, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

DD started a slight dry cough on Thursday just occassionaly during the day and evening. Slept fine

Friday same ordeal .however she had a coughing spell that evening and it made her vomit 1st food then mucus. Slight fever 100ish until bed. Sneezing and snotting all day. Slept all night

Saturday had rounds of feeling great and normal. Then fever woudl come and go but never over 101 until later that evening. Slept fine though. more sneezing and snotting all day

Took her to be seen Sunday morning and was told it was probably a virus yada yada...Still snotting and sneezing all day..bed time temp was around 101..didnt go to sleep until 11pm when normal bed time is 730.

Monday..slight fever all day, cranky tired, sneezing, snotting same story. last night however she slept 20 min up, sleep 20 min, up and the cycle continued. between 1am and 5 am her fever ranged from 102.3-103.8. Finally slept 5am until 745 am.

Took her back in today and tested negative for strep, no ear infections, and white blood count was normal...dr said its just a virus and fever lasts 2-5 days and we are probably in the thick of it..UGH a fever that long??? any insight or similar stories..how long will this really last???

DS has had some coughing, snotty nose and has had a very slight fever but no abnormal behaviors, high fevers, etc

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've had a few rounds of stuff like that. One turned out to be roseola and the next one was fifth disease. After about 4-5 days of high fever (I think in roseola with Austin it was a week!) there is a characteristic rash that breaks out. Watch out for that, and you'll at least have the mystery solved! Childhood illnesses are common, but they're the devil, especially when you have two sick of the same thing at once. Hang in there!

3. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Yes we had that about a month ago, each twin had a high fever for about 4-5 days and was totally miserable...the doctors kept telling me it was just a virus but then they changed there minds when E's white counts were so high so they put her on antibiotics, they could never tell what was causing the infection but the antibiotics did the trick in the end, When S started with the same sypmtons about 5 days afterwards they gave her antibiotics straight away. I hate it when they are so miserable.
    Hope yours are feeling better soon.

4. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I was going to say Roseola too. One of mine had it in December, I took her to the Dr for the same symptoms as yours and he said Roseola because of the high fever and no infections, A couple of days later the red rash came out and she was better.Unfortunately her sister got it 2 weeks later but at least I knew what it was this time.

5. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

My girls just got over a fever for 6 days. I hovered around 103-104 without meds, and would only come down to 100-101 with Motrin/Tylenol. We took them to the Dr. on day 5... one had an ear infection and the other twin didn't. He said the fever was from a virus. He also mentioned roseola, but they didn't have the rash.

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We've been seeing a lot of this. Wouldn't be roseola because that has no symptoms other than the rash. The snot, cough etc sounds like any one of a hundred respiratory viruses out there (including RSV or influenza). Usually gets worse before it gets better, hits the worst somewhere around day 4 or 5, and then slowly gets better. Fever stops but other symptoms can last up to 2 weeks.

Glad labs looked normal but I have seen elevated white count only from a virus, so the pp who had a child with a "hidden" infection that finally got better with antibiotics...its entirely possible that the timing was just right and by the time the abx were prescribed the child would have gotten better anyway. The vast majority of ear infections, bronchitis, sinus infections etc are actually viral and even if bacterial will only shorten illness by 12-24 hours.

Hope she feels better soon and that DS escapes it.