Neosure 28 calorie formula recipe

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Buttercup1, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to mix up Neosure to 28 calories per ounce with the powered formula?

TIA!

2. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

Im not sure about the 28 cal but I know for a 24 cal feed for Deven we use 3 level scoops per 5 oz water. Sorry I cant be of much help. You can call the hospital and speak to someone on the childrens floor and Im sure they can give you the recipie. Good luck.

3. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I am curious as to why you would want to make it higher calorie. My DS the past few weeks has been giving me an absolutely horrible time eating. If I am lucky, if I get him to drink 20ozs a day. Granted he has a lot of cereal in his bottles due to reflux. Would making a higher calorie formula be a good idea since he is eating so poorly?

4. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

I had to break out my list of mixing instructions that the pedi gave us when the girls went home from the hospital and I can't find how to make 28 cal but the formula for 27 cal/oz is 8 oz water with 5 scoops NeoSure. HTH!

5. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

One of my girls has been on expressed breast milk with Neosure added for 28 calories since leaving the NICU. I've had a major drop in my milk supply and I am forced to supplement with straight formula.

Jen S, adding calories to formula or breastmilk is for low birthweight or premature babies and should only be done under MD guidance.

6. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Buttercup1 @ Mar 19 2008, 05:43 PM) [snapback]677859[/snapback]
    One of my girls has been on expressed breast milk with Neosure added for 28 calories since leaving the NICU. I've had a major drop in my milk supply and I am forced to supplement with straight formula.

Jen S, adding calories to formula or breastmilk is for low birthweight or premature babies and should only be done under MD guidance.

thanks, mine were 33 weekers and were 3lbs 9ozs and 4lbs 1oz. I know in the NICU they were on 24 calories but we were given no instructions to mix the formula any differently when we got home. They just said to put them on neosure. DD is on in the 3% and DD is not on the charts yet, i guess i'll ask my ped.

7. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jen S @ Mar 19 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]677820[/snapback]
    I am curious as to why you would want to make it higher calorie. My DS the past few weeks has been giving me an absolutely horrible time eating. If I am lucky, if I get him to drink 20ozs a day. Granted he has a lot of cereal in his bottles due to reflux. Would making a higher calorie formula be a good idea since he is eating so poorly?

It is a thought to make it high cal, however, it will take longer to digest and therefore may make him even more resistant to feed on his typical shcedule (whatever it is, every 3 or 4 hours, etc.) I actually found my twins ate more of the regular 20 cal formula than the higher cal mixes. Also, they threw up a lot more of the higher cal formula because it was too hard on their tummies. I heard this was common too. Some babies can take it no problem, but even though mine were preemies, we had to immediatly switch over to regular formula after the NICU due to vommiting of the high cal stuff.