need toy ideas...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by kim01, Aug 2, 2014.

1. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

So we have gotten our baby daughters older sister moved in today. She just turned 5. Thing is she doesn't have hardly any toys ! We have bought her some play dishes and food. Some hello kitty dolls, several my little pony dolls. And of course she has tons of books. She also has a doctor kit and that's all ! I need some toy ideas please.
    She likes hello kitty, Doc McStuffin,  I'm thinking of getting her a kitchen so she can actually do something with her dishes and play food. I also want to get her a baby doll. After that I am lost ha. What are some toys that you guys are finding your 5 year olds like? I have some craft things we can do. However I would like to get her some toys that she can play with on her own. She isn't into lego. So I need some help or ideas please. She is very girly, and would love anything girly lol. She does have 3 barbies. My sister went out and bought her 2 toys to go with her barbies. She also bought her tons of clothes. I was surprised that she didn't have more toys than what she does have. we will be remedy that. :) Thanks ladies in advance.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think what you have for her sounds perfect. Children can feel overwhelmed with too many toys and have difficulty engaging with one toy if there are too many options. That being said favorite things in our house are craft and art supplies that they have free access to, water play (I'll put some towels down in the kitchen and fill various bowls/dishes with water, give them some spoons and cups and they'll play for ages), Polly Pockets (although they drive me nuts - the tiny little pieces end up everywhere), and cardboard boxes (they build forts, trains, cities whatever they want out of various sized cardboard boxes - recycling day is a sad day in this house ;) ).

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Rachel, I think the toys you have are perfect.  I would also add My Little Pony is a big hit here as well.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel and Nancy. The list you have sounds great and if you have space to rotate things that would be even better. My girls loved my little pony at 5 and they still play with them now at 7 1/2. The other thing my girls loved to do at that age (and again, still now), was to play dress up. This included princess dresses, home made (their own creations) crowns, my clothes, scarves, etc etc. so maybe if you have a big box around, and see some old clothes or dress up princess dresses on sale, you can start to put some stuff together for her.

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Only thing I'd add is a play kitchen if you don't have one.

6. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

The only thing I'd add for now is some kind of outdoor riding toy - bike, plasma car, scooter.  The rest you can get as she expresses interest or a celebration comes up, as you would with your other children.  I understand the temptation of  inundating her with lots of nice new things (I went a little nuts myself when our girls came home) but it could set unrealistic expectations and prolong the honeymoon period, making the crash back to reality even harder.

You can do lots of things to make her feel that she's part of the family now.  I love the idea someone posted on your decorating thread about letting her choose or paint part of the tree on the wall.  Making crafts with her and displaying them will aid with bonding and solidify her place in the home. Adopting an older child can be hard and right now she doesn't need loads and loads of toys, she needs you.  

1 person likes this.
  7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would play games with her- so get a few games she can play with you or your boys. Be intentional about spending time with her and building that relationship. It sounds like you've got the toys nailed down. :)

8. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

Dress up things would add to the very nice collection of things you already have.  Art supplies (crayons, markers, paints and brushes, assorted papers, etc.).  Some games would be nice too.  A building set if you don't already have one.  And you might want to take her shopping for one special toy that she coud pick out.  Otherwise, I agree, I think you are set!

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Board games definitely and a bike. Maybe some kind of baby doll and accessories too... She might sound a bit old for it, but the nurturing part could help her. Otherwise it sounds fine... just add to it for Christmas and her birthday.