Need tips for keeping them out of the sliding closet doors!!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Becky444, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Becky444

Becky444 Well-Known Member

Lately it is a fascination! They LOVE to hide in there or slam the doors shut. I am afraid someone's fingers are going to get it one of these times.

I tried the little thing from One Step Ahead and it didnt work.

Thanks!

2. Becky444

Becky444 Well-Known Member

Lately it is a fascination! They LOVE to hide in there or slam the doors shut. I am afraid someone's fingers are going to get it one of these times.

I tried the little thing from One Step Ahead and it didnt work.

Thanks!

3. Mistyled

Mistyled Active Member

I ordered something online called a "Burglabar" and it works great. The things from One Step Ahead didn't work for us either because the gap between the sliding doors was too big. The Burglabars are a little bit wider. We only used them on our mirrored doors because you to have to stick them on. If your sliding doors are wooden, you could always use a hook and eye latch. We put these on a few of our closets too (on the inside though because they are kind of an eyesore). They leave a gap large enough for you stick your fingers in to latch and unlatch it, but they kids are not able to open it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

well I have the bi-fold sliding closet doors and yes they've had a few pinched fingers but i usually get them out of the closet. the pain is enough to deter them in the future. they still get in there and play and i remind them to be careful and often they will just get out of the closet and play with something else.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I bought some fancy thing from One Step Ahead and when I showed it to DH, he said "Why not just use a hook and eye latch?" Sometimes I forget that not everything has to be an Official Childproofing Product.

Anyway, so far they work fine, at least until the day when the girls figure out that they can push a chair over there, climb on it, and open the latch -- but that's at least several months in the future. And at least then they won't be sliding the doors by accident and hopefully will know to keep their fingers clear!

6. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

We use a bungee cord on the handles, then stick a door stop under the places where the doors fold. That seems to work.

7. WEME

WEME Well-Known Member

We also did the hook and eye latch idea for our regular bedroom door to hold them open so the girls can't shut their fingers in them. DH came up with the idea and it worked GREAT! It was extremely inexpensive (we actually had them laying around in the basement).