need suggestions on how to keep preschool snacks cold w/o using a lunchbox?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

So, i'm not really sure why i'm just thinking this through now, but how can i keep things cold w/o a lunchbox? They recommend a ziploc or divided plastic container. I'm just thinking things like, fruit, string cheese, yogurt, deli sandwich will need to be cooled and not left out for 2 hrs or so until eaten.

anyone have suggestions for this one?

tia!!

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

that's kinda crappy but maybe it's a space issue? really do they expect parents to come in with baggies and nothing to carry it in? maybe a paperbag with a baggies of ice but that's still in a bag :rolleyes:

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

What about just throwing in one of those freezer packs in the bag? Or will they not allow that? You could always freeze things like a tube of yogurt and then it should be thawed by the time they eat snack.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

How about taking a ziplock bag (freezer bag is probably best) and filling it with water and then freezing it and throwing it in the bag, that way, it's not a big deal if it gets thrown away as well. Then you can put all the fruit in separate ziplock baggies and not worry about anything having to be kept.

5. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I send my kids with the baggie full of ice. But, I always double bag the baggie so it doesn't get everything else wet. It works, keeps things cool, and then it all goes in the garbage.

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Maybe freeze some grapes and put them in with the rest of the stuff in a baggie? I have seen "plastic" ice cubes at bed bath and beyond you could keep in freezer and them put in a baggy to keep cold, that way no mess?

7. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

If the food is only going to be left out about 2 hrs before eating, I wouldn't worry about keeping it cold. Fruit, string cheese, yogurt, deli sandwich, etc. will all be just fine for that length of time.

8. debid

debid Well-Known Member

This is what I was wondering... how long is the longest it could be between dropoff and snack time? If it's only 2 hours, you should be fine just packing it cold. I would avoid egg-based foods (real mayo included) but most things won't spoil in that period of time.

9. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Well, if you want the 'book' answer, Public health allows food to be in the 'danger zone' (40-140 F) for up to 4 hours before it needs to be disposed of.

That being said, if you freeze the string cheese, the yogurt, or other freezable food items (Do grapes freeze well?) they should be unthawed by the time snack comes.

Some other ideas though: If your kids aren't staying for lunch, do they NEED that type of snack?? Could you possibly put together some things that don't need to stay cold?? Couple of things come to mind:

Applesauce (single serving size)
    crackers
    trailmix
    pretzels
    raisins
    carrots (OKAY room temp)
    cookies
    muffins
    fruit snacks
    Granola (bars or loose)